Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA This Friday 1pm Nottingham!!
Mark H

posted on 20/4/03 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
SVA This Friday 1pm Nottingham!!

So, anyone free that day to see the car go through it's SVA?

May have a spare seat in the locost, if you're feeling brave.

Especially wanted mechanically minded people to weild spanners/gaffer tape if it fails on something minor (and they will retest it same day)?

Also, hecklers welcome.

Cheers guys,

Mark

Mark Harrison and
Q986 KCP back from the dead...

bob

posted on 20/4/03 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Good luck Mark

Peteff

posted on 20/4/03 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
minor fail.

If they are as good as Derby they will let you fix it on site so you don't have to pay the retest fee. Hopefully you won't need to though. Best of luck.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

RoadkillUK

posted on 20/4/03 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Best of luck mate, I'd love to come along but I'm at work and also miles away

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
auzziejim

posted on 20/4/03 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
good luck

hope it goes well for you mate sure you dont need it though

James

dutchsuperseven
Builder

Posts 105
Registered 28/2/03
Location Born, Holland

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Locost-clone, powered by zetec 1.8, sierra type N9

posted on 21/4/03 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
SVA

Good luck, mark. There will be a candle burning (maybe a complete church) next friday.

Sex, drugs and Supersevens

sting

posted on 21/4/03 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Good Luck

That`s whereI think my nearest centre is so let us know if their freindly.
Cheers

Sting

Peteff

posted on 21/4/03 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Just noticed the time.

How did you get an afternoon appointment. I had to be there for 9 a.m.
Is it the centre at Watnall, Notts?. I've not heard much about them. Chris Gibbs(PTM) might have experience of them or someone at MK.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mark H

posted on 22/4/03 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys!

I'll give you the obligatory breakdown of the 3 hours with the man from the ministry.

Checked everything, but just can't tell if i've missed anything. I'll find out pretty soon. At least i can drive the thing!!

Mark

Mark Harrison and

Markp

posted on 23/4/03 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
good luck!

could you let me know what they are like? As mine is going there in the next couple of months.

Cheers

paulf

posted on 23/4/03 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Mine to , does anyone know what the waiting time is at present?
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by Markp
good luck!

could you let me know what they are like? As mine is going there in the next couple of months.

Cheers

Mark H

posted on 24/4/03 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
It was 4 weeks when i booked, but two weeks the month before. They were saying that at this time of year the waiting list gets well long, so i suspect it may be longer.

If you're anywhere near finishing, I would book in. A deadline gives you some enthusiasm, if nothing else does!

Cheers,

Mark

Mark Harrison and

bob

posted on 25/4/03 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Mark

The suspense is killing me

Peteff

posted on 25/4/03 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Is it no news is good news?

Come on let us in on it, or aren't you back yet.

yours, Pete.

P.S. Are you Peter Kay's stunt double?

yours, Pete

Mark H

posted on 25/4/03 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
It's a fail, I'm afraid...

...but not a bad one, if you know what i mean. The full experience..

Set off from Sherburn at 10.30, very gingerly (the first time I've driven it in more than second gear). It was also wet - very wet!

Stopped at a few services on the way - the amount of interest i got from people was fantastic. Met an AA man at Woodall services - a right Jobs comforter. SAid it'd fail on loads of stuff. Oh well i thought, at least I'll know what needs doing.

2 miles from the test centre, i did my first accidental pirrhouette - slippy as i left the main road, with a bit too much power on. Nicely controlled if i was on an airfield, but it was lucky there was no traffic coming the other way!

Well, it is meant to be a sunny day car!

Got to the centre, drove into Bay 3 - can easily fit the biggest of HGV's in, so the locost looks a bit small.

Blokes friendly enough - likes the car, and i can tell he wants it to pass (thats got to be good). He said he's seen a lot worse!

Starts the test, opens bonnet - it's only got a petrol leak from a split hose! The bloke leaves me for a couple of minutes to do an on the spot repair.

He's quite relaxed about the test (i'm not) and was basically looking for anything "obvious" - he didn't really spend much time on the minutae of the regulations, a lot of the time seemed to be getting an overview.

He told me that all brake pipes/fule lines need securing every 12 inches. I had missed one, and he stuck a tie wrap on it whilst he was under the car ramp - top bloke!

The other "assist" i had was the loudness test. The first test failed. When we were back inside, i said - oh thats a shame, i bought the exhaust as SVA compliant.

He said its the VI's fault for changing the goalposts re revs necessary for the test. We had another go and i passed! Yeah!

Anyawy, it did fail on a few easy (and most importantly cheap) issues:

1. Sharp edges - theres always some you miss, hey? Mine were:

1a. the bonnet catches (velcro something smooth and roundish over each one was the advice);

1b. The front light mountings - I left them as Stuart Taylor intended. Just pad em up (BTW, pipe lagging wrapped in black tape caused no raised eyebrows - put it everywhere!!)

1c. Seat belt upper anchorages - this needed rubber bolt covers on the bolts. The actual square metal that the bolt goes through is close enough to the body mot to need edging. I've got shedloads of rubber boltcovers ( just phone Tifosi and they'll come next day for £7) so thats a 5 minute job.

2. Brakes:

2a. bias bar - failed as it could be adjusted by him, there was no sign of a locking bolt/cotter pin arrangement he would have liked to have seen. In fact, the bar can be twisted so far over that the brake pedal won't depress! Again, straight from Stuart Taylor, but easily sorted with a bolt, a small drill, and a split pin.

2b. the braking failed when the bias bar was fully over one way - a trip to the MOT station after the locking nut is in place should sort that.

3. Speedo incorrect. Scraped the test until 70 mph - 1 mph out of the required band. The speedo can be re-calibrated - any one got instructions on an ETB unit?

4. Design weights incorrect. We weighed the car, he gaveme the figures for the retest. No worries! Would have been an arse if it failed on just that though!

So, all in all, a pretty fair test. I reckon each fail point is only a few hours/few quid at most, so that's nice. Glad i don't have to buy a new exhaust.

So, i won't make Stoneleigh, but whats next?

Cheers,

Mark

PS - my avatar is of Rik Waller. I am much more svelt than that!

Mark Harrison and

bob

posted on 25/4/03 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
"Rik Waller" i thought it was ROWLAND from Grange Hill .

Anyway nice test i'll be happy with a 1st test like that,brakes / speedo / sharp edges and noise seem to be the norm.

Chrisw should make a hit list on the site,highest pecentage fail points and all that.It would really help i think.

Peteff

posted on 25/4/03 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Shouldn't take too much sorting then. Good job done. Who's Rik Waller?. Is he the giant bloke with the little head who lost on popstars. I only heard of him because I read a description of him as a litle bloke looking over a pile of clothes.
Good luck with the retest.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

Mark H

posted on 6/5/03 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Passed retest!!

Yes, I have passed the retest, and am a proud owner of an SVA certificate!

Sadly can't drive it coz the DVLA want to send an inspector out before reg - may take two weeks!

I have applied for an 03 reg (instead of a Q) - I'll tell you how i get on.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark Harrison and

andyd

posted on 6/5/03 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Congrats.

Andy

auzziejim

posted on 6/5/03 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
well done mark, Hope it doesnt take you too long to get on the road

James

DoctorFunky

posted on 6/5/03 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Well done Mark, brings hope to us all.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Markp

posted on 7/5/03 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
WELL DONE!!

How long did it take to apply for a retest??

Happy driving.

Mark H

posted on 7/5/03 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers,

Dr F - don't know whether thats a compliment or not!

Jim - Yeah, shouldn't be too long - DVLA just called (quite efficient really) and are coming to check the car out on Monday 12th am. Be nice if i can get a reg number by Wed 14th - that the Yorkshire meeting!

Markp - The retest gets fitted in around other bigger tests, so was only 7 working days after the fail (i asked for a longer time in fact, so i could get two weekends in!).

Cheers,

Mark

Mark Harrison and

donut

posted on 8/5/03 at 06:30 AM Reply With Quote
Congratulations!!!

Well done. Another Indy on the road

Andy

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

wicket

posted on 8/5/03 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
Well done Mark.

Talking of all things SVA, what flexible brake pipes have you fitted ?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.