Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Are these brake pipe ends ok for SVA?
Northy

posted on 20/4/03 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Are these brake pipe ends ok for SVA?

I got all confused by the recent thread on brake pipes for SVA, so I decided to take a picture.

I know I'll have to cover the braided bit, but I'm not sure if the ends are OK.

Could someone let me know please?

Thanks Rescued attachment Brake line1.jpg
Rescued attachment Brake line1.jpg

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Northy

posted on 20/4/03 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
And another picture Rescued attachment Brake line2.jpg
Rescued attachment Brake line2.jpg

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Viper

posted on 20/4/03 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Going by what it says in the sva book i would say no they are not as the type you have there have seperate olives inside...
if it helps i have a pic of a compliant braided hose in my archive.

bob

posted on 20/4/03 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
BUGGER

All i can say is its a good job stoneleigh is only 2 weeks away.

As i have the same pipes as northy.

Northy

posted on 20/4/03 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Oh Tw*t!

Thanks

Where can I get some from that are? I'm not going to Stoneleigh.

Graham

bob

posted on 20/4/03 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
GRAHAM

I know MK sell the correct pipes as donut had them in his job lot.

zetec

posted on 21/4/03 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
I called the SVA helpline on this issue last week. They at first quoted the SVA book answer, but looked into the issue for me. They then said there was an update memo sent out saying that if the pipe had a seperate nut and inner tube support sleeve they would be OK. The advice was to take some evidence that this was what had been fitted to the test. I will take a ride down to my local testing station and see what they say, will post reply.
Wadders

posted on 21/4/03 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Mine are exactly the same hoses, as supplied by ST, as far as i'm aware plenty of ST's have passed SVA using this type of hose, but i stand to be corrected as mine aint SVA'd yet.

wadders

i]Originally posted by Northy
I got all confused by the recent thread on brake pipes for SVA, so I decided to take a picture.

I know I'll have to cover the braided bit, but I'm not sure if the ends are OK.

Could someone let me know please?

Thanks

Northy

posted on 22/4/03 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
I got them made up by Rally Design.

What evidence are you supposed to take? Another pipe? Thats stupid!

What do you mean by inner tube support sleeve? Do they have one?

If they're no good, I'm just gonna put some rubber ones on for SVA, then I don't have to cover the buggers either! Do rubber ones normally have an inner tube du-dad thing?

Thanks

Graham

Viper

posted on 22/4/03 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
standard rubberhoses wil have crimped ends so they are sva friendly, the type in your pics do have the inner tube doodad.

Northy

posted on 22/4/03 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Viper,

So thet ARE ok then? Which bit is the special doodad bit they are looking for?

If I got some extra ends and took them with me to SVA, do you think that would be good enough?

Thanks

Viper

posted on 22/4/03 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know if they will accept that or not, i am only going by what is printed in my SVA manuel, i have been fortunate in being donated a set off a TVR which has to go through a similar process to the SVA being as they are a small manufacturer.

your pipes ..the fitting on the end of the pipe has a tube, if you like, that pokes up inside the plastic inner part of the hose you will have an olive that goes on the outside of the plastic and under the braid then a nut that squashes the olive onto yhe plastic tube in turn clamping the tube i first mentioned creating a bloody good seal...

hope that explains it and if what zetec says is right then you should have no problem, all the braided BRAKE hoses are done this way, i think what the SVA mean is that you cant use braided hose that uses a cover with a jubilee type clip inside as these won't take the required pressure (the kind used for low pressure fuel lines etc)
does that help or have just realy upset the apple cart?

bob

posted on 22/4/03 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Could be a sigh of relief for us then graham

Viper

posted on 22/4/03 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
why not take the pipe, before you fit it, along to your local SVA testing station and ask them, i am sure they won't mind.

bob

posted on 22/4/03 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Good idea tim,i've got a couple of spares so i'll pop along before stoneleigh if i can.

Northy

posted on 23/4/03 at 06:17 AM Reply With Quote
Bob,

Let us know what they say, and what evidence they want at the test.

Thanks

Graham

bob

posted on 23/4/03 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Yep will do,if i cant get there today it'll be thurs/fri before stoneleigh as i'm back on shift.

Northy

posted on 25/4/03 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
You didn't get chance then Bob?

Graham

bob

posted on 25/4/03 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
in a word NO

I'll try and get over there thurs fri before Stoneleigh.

bob

posted on 1/5/03 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
GOOD NEWS

Took the spare pipe i have (same as northy's pic)to the Yeading SVA test centre.

The guy i saw was really helpfull and said the pipe was OK,he had a good look at the pipe and asked how the ends were fitted to the caliper and brake pipe.
I told him one end screws direct to the caliper and the other with pipe nut to a double flare on brake pipe run,this he said was acceptable.

He did go on to say that the connection he didnt want was the pipe screwed into the caliper and sealed by the use of an olive,but that it would also be imposible to tell without dismantling the pipe connection.(which they wouldnt do)

He also said dont bother bringing any evidence of how the pipe was made up as the paperwork might not correspond to the fitted part anyway(good point i thought).He said he wouldnt bother reading it anyway.

donut

posted on 1/5/03 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
So mine are ok too bob? They are i think exactly the same as yours and look the same as the photo at the top of this list.

Andy

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

Northy

posted on 1/5/03 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
My girlfriend phoned Beverley SVA (our local SVA station) today, and he said if they were made with seperate olives they would fail. BUT I got some rubber hoses at the weekend (see pictures below) and the ends look the same (the threaded bit). Bob do I take it from your post that olives INSIDE the end fitting are fine? Can you really get them with an olive on the end? Help I'm still confused! Rescued attachment Ends top.jpg
Rescued attachment Ends top.jpg

Graham

Northy

posted on 1/5/03 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Another pic Rescued attachment Ends end.jpg
Rescued attachment Ends end.jpg

Graham

Viper

posted on 1/5/03 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Graham
your braided hoses have an Olive inside..
you can unscrew the end (with a pair of spanners) and you will see what i mean. your rubber hose in the pic has a swaged end or crimped so you can't take it apart. so the SVA know it has not been tampered with. if i was you i would put the rubber ones on till you have passed at least you know that won't be a fail point...

Northy

posted on 1/5/03 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Viper,

I was going to do that, but I couldn't get any long enough for the front. The guy at the local motor factors spent ages looking through his book and stock!

Unless anyone knows some that might be long enough (Cortina calipers).

Thanks

Graham

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.