Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: full marks for a quality product
kingr

posted on 4/6/03 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
full marks for a quality product

....or not. And which company could it be that has earned my displeasure? Not lolocost surely, with their perfect customer service record? Basicaly, I bought bush tubes, bushes and crush tubes off them a few months ago, and now that I come to fit them, I find that the crush tubes that are for "10mm bolts" don't fit 10mm bolts, so I phone them up "oh yes, we know about this, but you can use machine screws, they'll fit" oh, well thank you very much, that's just what I want, load bearing threads, perfect, and after I've spent £40 on suitable bolts. Partly in their defence they did offer to refund me, but that would involve me sending them all back (incuring yet more postage costs) and then I'd have to source a suitable replacement myself, and get it cut up on a lathe (which the lolocost ones weren't I hasten to add) and all within the confinements of the (pretty rubbish) lolo bushes. So what did I get for my £50 or however much it was? 24 little bits of ERW tube, some crappy nylon bushes that I'll probably replace anyway, and some crush tubes that aren't any good in their existing form for the job that they were intended.

Rant over, thankyou for your time.

Kingr

ChrisW

posted on 4/6/03 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Don't say we didn't warn you!

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 4/6/03 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
well no one warned me, but i haven't bought anything from lolocost so that's ok.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 4/6/03 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Do a search for LoLocost - I'll bet every post you find that mentions them carries a warning!!

Chris

My gaff my rules

Mark Allanson

posted on 4/6/03 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Reversing the question, is there anything that lolocost make that is any good?
bob

posted on 4/6/03 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
The windscreen bits seem ok,well the ones i've seen anyhow.

Jasper

posted on 4/6/03 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Front wing supports are fine, only needed slight fettling and they're cheap. They also sold me great rear lights for £30 at the show that were £44 on another stand, so they ain't all bad.
Northy

posted on 4/6/03 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Have to admit the cycle wing brackets are fine

But my mate who's a metal fabricator saw them and recons they were far too expensive! He was talking about making a jig up to make some!

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

merlin

posted on 4/6/03 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
lolo

The only thing I have seen of what I thought 'good value' is their stainless side pipe at £55.00. Have bought one and fitted it to mates westie, looks sweet. However, bushes are best sourced from MK in my humble opinion. Anyway, it doesn't pay to buy cheap - you will always end up replacing it later when you have more dosh and then you've spent over the odds. I made this mistake with the GRP panels and I am now looking for new ones! I can afford them now but if I had saved the £150 spent in haste 12 mths ago I could be looking at 'top end' panels now.
Just a thought for all you that are STILL building.........did I mention I have finished mine??

shit happens! (but why always to me!!)

robinbastd

posted on 4/6/03 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Merlin,within 12 months you'll be replacing that silencer! Just you mark my words
Regards,
Ian

Peteff

posted on 4/6/03 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
Lolocost

I got a steering column bearing and bracket and they were o.k. and cheap.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

kingr

posted on 5/6/03 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Lolo ball joints are OK I think, but then you can't really go far wrong with them - Just don't buy the threaded tube to screw them into, I destroyed the thread on one of my Transit BJ by trying to screw it in.

Kingr

phil

posted on 15/6/03 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
My bushes from LOLO were the exactly the same, but all that had happened was that when the sleeves were cut to length, they weren't cleaned out.
The saw or whatever they use had burred the edges over and they just required a dress with a round file.
The cost of the bush kit i bought from them was £25 for 10 so i was not to bothered about the2 mins
i took dressing them up .
Unless the internal wall had been threaded (which i doubt) a shoulder bolt should fit because the shoulder is the same diameter as the highest part of the thread.
cheers
phil...........

kingr

posted on 16/6/03 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Nope, I've filed them out and while M10 thread fits, M10 shank doesn't, it's only marginal, but it definately doesn't fit.

Kingr

paulf

posted on 16/6/03 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Why not get a hand reamer and ream them to 10mm, they should then fit over the plain shank of a bolt.Better still get someone to do them in a lathe, my bushes and tubes came from Ron champion when he was in Peterboro and are supposed to be 1/2 inch but are to small also, at present I am using 12mm bolts but intend to ream to 1/2 and change the bolts at sometime.
paul.
quote:
Originally posted by kingr
Nope, I've filed them out and while M10 thread fits, M10 shank doesn't, it's only marginal, but it definately doesn't fit.

Kingr

kingr

posted on 17/6/03 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the suggestions - it's what I plan to do. It does feel like an unneccesary cost though.

Kingr

Surrey Dave

posted on 17/6/03 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Ye Olde Flapper

Couldn't you use Ye Olde Tuning Flapper , ie a piece of rod (6mm) with a slot cut down about 20mm, with a strip of emery put through and wrapped around itself?. You then insert it in the tube and spin it in an electric drill, (make sure the emery is wrapped the right way)!!!!

If its only marginal it should work quite quickly.

I had a rollover bar of Lolocost and it was a good deal at the time(2000) , and I believe they're cheaper now.

http://www.groovy42.freeserve.co.uk

merlin

posted on 17/6/03 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
why not use 3/8" bolts? (9.525mm), these fit the QH metalastic bush sleeves perfectly. Just a thought.......

shit happens! (but why always to me!!)

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.