Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Q Plate, emissions and tax groups
bj928

posted on 21/5/07 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Q Plate, emissions and tax groups

Hi

some of you guys may know me as the mad sod putting a viper engine in a viento, well, the question is, because of the new tax classes i don't want to be in the high tax bracket, so if i go for a Q plate, does that mean i just go in a normal tax bracket, and can i build the car without cats, or do i still have to get the emissions as low as i can!!!!

engine is about a 2004 engine but i could make out its a 1991 engine block been built up to be a 2004 replica some how

or can i get round the highest tax bracket any other way, i wanted a new reg.

flak monkey

posted on 21/5/07 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
If you get a new reg it will get dumped in the highest tax bracket.

Q plate you will get visable smoke at MOT and the generic car tax, so £180 or whatever it is now.

If you have a Q plate, you still need to get through emmissions at SVA, which for a 2004 engine will be the std CAT test, can't remember the figures at the mo though. Should go through OK if you fit a cat or 2 in your case . You will need written proof of engine age at SVA.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

speedyxjs

posted on 21/5/07 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
I dont know the answer to your question but i think yours is a GREAT project
Make sure you keep us all up to date with your progress

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

smart51

posted on 21/5/07 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've been a passenger in a Viper and it was fast. In a seven it will be just mental. If you get an age related plate then it will be classed as greater than a 1.4 to £180 is road fund license.
bj928

posted on 21/5/07 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
do sva check the engine number, i could change the number to an early number, so if they do check it its an older engine, or what if i can't prove the age of the engine as the numbers could be removed altogether, just looking at all the options, would like to not need cats at all.
flak monkey

posted on 21/5/07 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
This is where it gets complicated, and I could be wrong...

If the engine was orginally fitted in a car that had a CAT it will still need them fitting for SVA. As the Viper is a yank tank then it will have had a CAT regardless of how old the engine is (americans fitted CATs to everything after the mid 70's IIRC).

The SVA man will check your engine age by verifying your engine number, and you need written proof tying the engine number to a date, probably have to come from GM/dodge in your case.

Sera

bj928

posted on 21/5/07 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
just looked it up, the viper cam out in 92 with cats, so i guess i will have to run cats, bugger, well at least till its been for its sva
big_wasa

posted on 21/5/07 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
I dont think that is totally true. My zetec is a 93 and came from the factory with a cat. But as its pre Aug 1995 I wont need one in the locost.
flak monkey

posted on 21/5/07 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Like I said I might very possibly be wrong on that one. Sure I have read it somewhere in the manual or heard it somewhere. May not apply to 'amatuer' built vehicles though, maybe only imports or something.

Sera

bj928

posted on 21/5/07 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
ok, what about age related then, i'm basing the kit on a granada, so if i get a v5 for doner vehicle and change the engine cc and number to that of the viper engine before i use it as a doner, will that help, could use an old 86 granada v5
ReMan

posted on 21/5/07 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
I think you should be OK as long as you can prove engine age by documentation. The cat fitted to a USA car in 92 will be irrelevant in the UK if it was post 95 that all UK vehicles had to have cats.

[Edited on 21/5/07 by ReMan]

ReMan

posted on 21/5/07 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Age related plate is irrelevant to engine, only to doner running gear . The engine age is treated separatly for emissions purposes

[Edited on 21/5/07 by ReMan]

bj928

posted on 21/5/07 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
so i need to get a 92 engine number and have it stamped onto the correct place on the viper engine and make it look like it is original, no problem
Humbug

posted on 21/5/07 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bj928
so i need to get a 92 engine number and have it stamped onto the correct place on the viper engine and make it look like it is original, no problem

...just be careful...

russbost

posted on 21/5/07 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
You need to prove it's a pre August '95 engine - the SVA & registration guys aren't stupid (well some aren't ) & must have seen most of the scams b4 so I would beware - possibility it could be classed as fraud!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
02GF74

posted on 22/5/07 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
although cats started to appear in 92, it wasn't necessary until Aug 95

oh dear, wish you pelpe do a proper searhc

read this; see the bit about US engines; doubt you will be that lucky!

SVA emission
SVA emission

bj928

posted on 22/5/07 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
ok, this is getting complicated, i'm not fussed about getting through sva becasue i can get a cat put in and have a straight through made so the cat can be fitted for MOT's but taken out when not wanted, but the thing i do want to avoid is the high tax bracket, how do i stay out of this, can i have a new plate with old engine or do i have to go with age ralated or Q
iank

posted on 22/5/07 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Why do you want a new plate? You know everything has to be new (with piles of receipts) with one reconditioned to as new condition component (which in your case is going to be the engine). You will need a brand new gearbox to go with it BTW - I seem to remember you already got one with the engine. Very expensive, low emissions limits (which stay with you for MOT), high tax that way, for a minimal increase in value of the car if/when you want to sell.

You will likely be able to get an age related plate if you use all the parts from a single donor (or say you have )

The rules are on the dvla website (Kit Conversion is what most register under)
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicle/DG_10014246

Personally I'm going for a Q reg unless forced to take an age related plate. Much cheaper if you plan to keep the car long term.

p.s. getting caught stamping the wrong engine number on an engine may see you accused of ringing and the car crushed.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.