Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dash Radius....
twybrow

posted on 19/7/07 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Dash Radius....

I have a carbon dash, and I'm having a minor panic with the bottom edge radius. I was thinking of making up a 19+mm radiused edge using drain pipe as a mould, but the bottom edge is not straight, so it would be a real pain in the arse. Having searched lots on here, there seesm to be some confusion over whether a soft radius of 5mm is acceptable on a hard dash... Can anyone clarify? Clearly the foam/lagging/vinyl route would be a damn site easier, but I don't want easy if it means an SVA fail!

[Edited on 19/7/07 by twybrow]

nludkin

posted on 19/7/07 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
If it's a hard dash, it needs a radius of 19mm on the lower edge. However, if it's covered and has padding, then the hard edge underneath needs to only be 5mm.

The examiners need to be able to feel that the hard surface is radiused basically. This appears to be the reason they don't allow pipe lagging (As it's so much padding that you can't feel that the hard bit has infact been radiused).

Well, that's my take on it anyway. Hope it helps

pewe

posted on 19/7/07 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Try some poly-prop water pipe - the blue sort used for domestic mains. Cut along the length with a hand nibbler (see Machine Mart ref CHT164). You can then glue it or no-nails it. Radius onto thin ali greater than 19mm and you can paint it with Hammerite.
Is that locost or what?
Cheers, Pewe

twybrow

posted on 20/7/07 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
Nice - that might be the SVA solution. Thanks chaps, it looks like 19mm is the order of the day....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.