Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Southampton SVA - how bad?
matt_claydon

posted on 3/9/03 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
Southampton SVA - how bad?

Hi,

I live in Winchester so Soton SVA is the obvious choice, however I have heard a few bad comments about their treatment of kit cars on this board and need to make a decision soon:

1) Should I steer clear, despite the convenience?

2) Which centre should I use? Avonmouth, Taunton, Croydon and London West (Yeading) are all about the same distance (80-100 miles), so which is most friendly?

One other question, do I have to get a chassis # before filling in SVA application, or will that be dealt with automatically when I apply?

Many thanks in advance,
Matt.

[Edited on 3/9/03 by matt_claydon]

bob

posted on 4/9/03 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
MATT

All i've heard about southampton is that its very busy,must be all the imports coming in at the docks.

I'm inbetween Yeading and Mitcham at J1 M3 so its a bit of a dilema here,Yeading have been a bit harsh on some cars and to date have only passed one car (westfield)1st time.

I dont know anything about Mitcham so cant comment,i'm waiting for andy (donut) to go 1st LOL.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 4/9/03 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
I've heard bad things about southampton too... especially on here. So i'd stay well clear.

80-100 isn't too bad.. and it gives a chance for everything to settle on the car, by the time you get there

Peteff

posted on 4/9/03 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
you'll need to fill the tank before you go into the SVA station if you are travelling that far. Don't forget as they may make you retest if you have to leave site to do it.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 4/9/03 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
you have to get a vin number before the sva test, otherwise there is nothing to log the car against for test or insurance to allow you to drive it there.

When my car is finished, getting it to sva is a bit of a quandry.

I know people do shakedown tests - sometimes to a pre-sva mot, but I dont feel happy driving a laregely unproven car 80 miles or so to my preferred (Derby) centre.

I may hire a trailer - depending on how confident or 'cashed up' I feel at the time. Probably both in the negative!

atb

steve

SteveO

posted on 4/9/03 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Leyton Buzzard center

Any say on the L.Buzzard SVA center.
Does anyone have good or bad report from there?

Steve

bob

posted on 4/9/03 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
AN IDEA

We need chrisW to put up a list of all the SVA test stations,we can then log against them our test results and thoughts.

JoelP

posted on 4/9/03 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hijack the thread....:

Does that mean you can drive to the SVA test? Obviously it does cos many people just said or implied that....

That seems madness, you could build and pile of thingy and kill loads of people on the way! What if you booked one at the other end of the country and went on tour first?

How bizzare, i just assumed it was a trailer job.....

By the way if anyone near Yorkshire wants to borrow a trailer i got one.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 4/9/03 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
That seems madness, you could build and pile of thingy and kill loads of people on the way! What if you booked one at the other end of the country and went on tour first?

You wouldn't get away with that.... the police would probably have something to say about a large distance, there's probably something written in the law that the closest distance only or something

Peteff

posted on 4/9/03 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Most people MOT their car before the SVA so if it was potentially dangerous it would not get away with it. When I phoned the local VRO for the paperwork to register my chassis the inspector recommended that it be tested before SVA and it gives you chance to road test it before the run to the test centre. I think they expect you to show some common sense when stating your preference for a test site and alternative so a run the length the country would be unlikely.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mark Allanson

posted on 4/9/03 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
I will have to run the length of the country whatever, Exeter are usually unavailable and default to Taunton, which means a 250 mile round trip, Avonmouth would be more convenient as my daughter is at university at Bristol so I would have free overnight accomodation. Bobs suggestion of a league table of SVA testing stations would be really usefull.

Go on Chris, I know how some of them perform as far as imports are concerned, but how about Locosts?

Ben_Copeland

posted on 4/9/03 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
i have pointed out the idea to chris... he laughed.... not sure if thats good or bad lol
stephen_gusterson

posted on 4/9/03 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Sorry to hijack the thread....:

Does that mean you can drive to the SVA test? Obviously it does cos many people just said or implied that....

How bizzare, i just assumed it was a trailer job.....

By the way if anyone near Yorkshire wants to borrow a trailer i got one.

do bear in mind the following :

1. before sva (5 years ago?) there was no test at all. nowt. zilch.

2. in the usa there is no test. apparently no mot type test either!

3. three wheelers need no test in this country, but thats gonna change. still today, no test.

atb

steve

tobygee

posted on 12/9/03 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
i did not think it was legal to drive your car to an mot place without a log book (sva test)! only to and from an sva place then if it fails to a place to rectify the points it failed on!!! did you also know that insurance companies generally will insure you to the sva place but if it fails not on the way back!!!
Ian Pearson

posted on 12/9/03 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

in the usa there is no test. apparently no mot type test either!

Having seen some of the death traps on the roads in the US, I wouldn't say that the lack of a roadworthines test over there is an argument in favour of driving an untested car on the road over here.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.