Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Insurance, HELP!!
Alez

posted on 26/9/03 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Insurance, HELP!!

Hi guys,

I'm just trying to recover from the shock of being asked for £640 for a 3000 mile/year 3rd party insurance for my locost blade!! My problem is that the insurance companies I've consulted either don't do kit cars or won't insure me because my GB driving licecence is 0 years old, the reason being that I'm now exchanging my current spanish licence I've held for over 10 years for a GB one in order to get insurance.

My case is quite uncommon, so I guess that the best I can do is try to get quotes from as many kit cars insurers as possible, so the question is, WHO IS YOUR INSURER? I need to contact them all!

The ones I've tried so far were suggested by others refusing to insure me:
-Adrian Flux: new driver's licence is a problem
-Norwich Union: no kit cars
-Hill House Hammond: no kit cars
-Chris Knott: no kit cars
-Backford Bloor & Co: new driver's licence is a problem unless UK resident for at least 3 years (not my case, 1.5 years now)
-Footman James: No probs if you're happy to pay £640
I was also recommended another one called someting like Gotham whatever (doing kit cars, apparently) but I've been unable to get their reference.

Your help is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Alex

Peteff

posted on 26/9/03 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Can you get a Spanish company to insure you under your old license. I thought a European license was valid anywhere in the EU.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

KitCarMart

posted on 26/9/03 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Insurance

Go to the Insurance page at:

http://www.kitcarmart.co.uk

Try Sureterm, Graham Sykes they are usually competitive.

Also there is Osborne and Sons and Roadsure.

all the best

Dave
KitCarMart

auzziejim

posted on 26/9/03 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
-Hill House Hammond: no kit cars

Thats odd seeing as they advertise in kit car magazine!!!! Sounds interesting. The best quote i found for an 18 yr old with 1yr liecence no ncb was Footman James £1003 pa on a 1600cc pinto engined MK Indy

Alez

posted on 26/9/03 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys for your help, I'll soon see what I can get.

Auzziejim, I don't want to think they just said that as an excuse

Kitcarmart, thanks for the useful info, much appreciated.

Peteff, Spanish insurance companies require that you import the car (that is, register it in Spain, with Spanish plates!) for driving it mainly (if not only) inside Spain! Not my case

Cheers,

Alex

Jasper

posted on 26/9/03 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Try Adrian Flux - I'm with them - cheap and good cover and understand kit cars
Alez

posted on 26/9/03 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Jasper, Hi guys,

Thanks for the suggestion mate but they won't do it because of my brand new GB licence!

Anyway, it looks like I got a nice insurance now from Sureterm thanks to Kitcarmart who advised trying them.

As I said earlier, my first quotation was for £640 3rd party 3000 miles/year. Sureterm has offered me £375 full coverage, same 3000 miles/year but I can even take the car to Spain for holidays etc. The only condition was I had to buy it immediately, which I fortunately did.

Then I called Graham Sykes asking for the same thing just to see if I had done the correct thing. They came with £1400 "because of the bike engine", and advised me to take the £640 that I had mentioned to them as previous quotation (since I wanted to give them the same conditions I gave to Sureterm).

Cheers,

Alex

JoelP

posted on 26/9/03 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
some companies just think bike engine looonatic, others know you care for a nice car better than you would a diesel repmobile.

guess u'd throw up to hear i shopped around to get quoted £850 third party on a 900cc CEC, namely a fiat seicento... i certainly did.

Alez

posted on 29/9/03 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Joel,

That's certainly one of the funniest things I've ever read in English or priced in £, bl#### h###!!

Cheers,

Alex

Willie

posted on 3/10/03 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Alez,

You think that's bad? Try insuring a young driver in N.Ireland. Under 25 only one company quotes (Adrain Flux), and even they won't quote under 19...which I am. To give you an estimate, I'm 18, no accidents (So far), male and am paying Just over £2000 for a 1996 Peugeot 306, 1400cc.

I'll get quoted in may, but it's going to be a joke.

Willie

Alez

posted on 6/10/03 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Willie,

That's just terrible. You know, long ago I decided to simplify my life not to need a car for everyday life. Since then, I walk to work etc and have a fun car only (limited mileage now).

If I was you, I would probably refuse to have a car altogether (that's not the kind of msg you would post in this forum, is it?)

Cheers,

Alex

ayh20

posted on 9/10/03 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
You don't say how old you are but if you're 25 plus you can try who i use.

I use A W Marlow in Buton-on-Trent. Only £120 for my 125BHP Striker but i'm turning into an old fart....

Andy

Didn't know what I was doing when I started .... And I still don't ... !!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.