Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lost keys!
MK Charlie

posted on 8/12/07 at 01:27 AM Reply With Quote
Lost keys!

I just came home, and got out my tin top and dropped the keys down a drain.I could see them, but was hard to get to as my car was ontop of the drain and had locked and alarmed itself. Had a poke around with a long metal pole with a hook on the end. Now the water is so murky i cant see a thing! I REALLY hope i can see them in the morning. They are my only set. What affect will being soaked in water for 8hrs do to the remote locking/immobiliser code on the key? i'm guessing the remote lockin wont work (may do if i dry the keys out in the oven) but what will i be able to start the car with the key due to the imobiliser?
worX

posted on 8/12/07 at 01:37 AM Reply With Quote
Do you have a magnet of ANY kind???

Oh and a flashlight?

[Edited on 8/12/07 by worX]

jolson

posted on 8/12/07 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
the circuit board in my peugeot keyfob is well lacquered; it looks like it would stand a good soaking. I've dried out more complicated electronics by just shaking the water out, putting it inside a couple socks and sitting it on the radiator for a day or so. I think a dehumidifier is supposed to be the proper way.

Cheers

John

bob tatt

posted on 8/12/07 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
i work on site and regulary soak my keys i all manner of different ways not overnight but when i changed the battery i noticed mine were very well laquared as well so heres hoping
donut

posted on 8/12/07 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Don't put them in the oven!!!!! leave the remote fob on a radiator.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dangle_kt

posted on 8/12/07 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
you will have stired up all the silt and made the water murky. They won't have gone anywhere unless a rat took a fancy to them overnight. Should be nice and clear by now.

As Worx said, magnet and a pole will work great. Just go steady not to stir up all the silt again.

All the best mate!

James

posted on 8/12/07 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donut
Don't put them in the oven!!!!! leave the remote fob on a radiator.

I agree.

Why risk oven temperatures at all?

Even use a hair dryer if necessary. It's what I used to dry my phone when I dropped it in the bath!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

RazMan

posted on 8/12/07 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
The important thing is to rinse them off with clean water BEFORE you dry them out. Impurities in the drain water will otherwise be left behind and corrode the components.
I used to manufacture PCBs and part of the process was to stick them in a dishwasher (with special detergent obviously) to wash off the flux.

Have you got one of those telescopic magnet thingies you see at all the shows? Bet you wish you bought one now don't you?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Clive

posted on 8/12/07 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Personally, I would take the battery out the keyfob and soak it (the keyfob) in distilled water for a few hours. That should wash any crap out. Then dry gently on the radiator/in the airing cupboard
tks

posted on 8/12/07 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
don´t use the water supply in house...

i just wish you luck, saying that those remote things are perfectly made for damp condition. A set of ours has been in the garden on the lawn for 1 day )incl. night= it was very wet, but it still worked...

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

Danozeman

posted on 8/12/07 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
AS said dont put them in the oven give them a good rinse with clean water, shake them out and leave them on the radiator wrapped in a cloth over night..

Magnet is your best bet for retreiving them.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

MK Charlie

posted on 11/12/07 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Just to update, i tried everything possible on the night. Big magnet on string, telescopic magnet, coat hangers, boat hook etc... none worked. The next day i moved my car (set the alarm off) and opened the drain. I had a brainstorm and used a very fine rake (used for grass) to dig out the rubbish from the bottom and eventually my keys. They worked, but thought I best wash them in distilled water overnight. They now work perfectly again, and my car is booked in for a service next week, so will get a spare key cut and coded at the same time! Thanks for all your help. I love this site!

Charlie

iank

posted on 11/12/07 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure you get them to tell you how much the new key will cost beforehand. Frightening how much main stealers charge for them.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

tks

posted on 12/12/07 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
yupsz, also let them, code the computer to accept only the 2 keys you have (to block the other one wich could be alive)

tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

02GF74

posted on 12/12/07 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
maybe fitting a fine mesh over the drain cover whose holes are smaller then the keyring would be a good idea too?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.