Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: will this be okay for SVA
jabbahutt

posted on 10/12/07 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
will this be okay for SVA

Morning all

Could anyone please advise on whether this rear view mirror will be okay and if not what's up with it.

If it could be temporarily modded to pass what would need doing?

Cheers
Nigel Rescued attachment rear view mirror.jpg
Rescued attachment rear view mirror.jpg

Humbug

posted on 10/12/07 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
I used a suction cup mirror with no problem, but others have reported a fail because it could come off (I think).

The only other thing is that the clip gripping the mirror looks slight sharp edged... if you can't file it down, maybe you could disconnect it, slide a piece of bike inner tube over it and glue it in place, then refit?

Also - where did you get it? I am still using the plastic suction cup mirror which works OK but is not as smart as yours - is it chrome or stainless?

jabbahutt

posted on 10/12/07 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
I haven't bought it yet, wanted to check it was okay before buying.

www.holden.co.uk do a search for mirrors and it's on the 3rd page.

thanks for the input

Nigel

BenB

posted on 10/12/07 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'd suggest it'll fail due to sharp edges.

For SVA I used a little scuttle-top (bolted) mounted mirror. You couldn't see much with it because it was quite low down but it was there in case the examiner decided I *had* to have one (not sure there's an SVA rule stating this but I've heard stories that some do). The wing mirrors I had were suitably arranged so that all the tests could be passed with them alone and the wing mirror was mainly for looks.

After SVA I put a full screen on anyway and by happy coincidence the screen completely covered up the holes in the scuttle where the mirror had been attached

matt_claydon

posted on 10/12/07 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
I believe you have to have a rear-view mirror unless it provides no useful view to the rear (even if the other mirrors cover the viewing requirements).

[Edited on 10/12/07 by matt_claydon]

chrsgrain

posted on 10/12/07 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Fails - radius I think - Dax use that one, but provide a plastic one to pass the test which then falls off and is replaced by that nicer one!

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

hellier0437

posted on 12/12/07 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
I'd suggest it'll fail due to sharp edges.

For SVA I used a little scuttle-top (bolted) mounted mirror. You couldn't see much with it because it was quite low down but it was there in case the examiner decided I *had* to have one (not sure there's an SVA rule stating this but I've heard stories that some do). The wing mirrors I had were suitably arranged so that all the tests could be passed with them alone and the wing mirror was mainly for looks.

After SVA I put a full screen on anyway and by happy coincidence the screen completely covered up the holes in the scuttle where the mirror had been attached

just wondering where you got your mirror and how much it cost?
thanks for any help

iank

posted on 12/12/07 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_claydon
I believe you have to have a rear-view mirror unless it provides no useful view to the rear (even if the other mirrors cover the viewing requirements).

[Edited on 10/12/07 by matt_claydon]

And verily spake the great book.

Mirrors 10.1
Check the obligatory rear view mirrors.
a. for presence and security
NOTE 1 Obligatory mirrors are, one internal mirror and one offside exterior mirror (for L/H cars the "offside" is the passenger side). If the interior mirror rearward field of view requirement cannot be met a nearside exterior mirror must be fitted. An interior mirror must be fitted unless it would provide NO rearward vision (eg obscured by a solid bulkhead).

And here endeth the word of VOSA.

All bold and SHOUTY CAPS are as in the book.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.