Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GET A REVERSE IF YOU WANT TO SVA IN 2009!
tks

posted on 1/3/08 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
GET A REVERSE IF YOU WANT TO SVA IN 2009!

unther the new IVA a reverse will be needed.

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

Omni

posted on 1/3/08 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
OH NO :-(

What else will change?

O

Mark G

posted on 1/3/08 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Is a manual available yet for the new rules or even the current rules.

I have a SVA manual from 2004 saved on my PC but don't know if its still accurate.

billynomates

posted on 1/3/08 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
I'm surprised it hasn't been included earlier. How many times have you had to reverse back at a junction, when you thought about pulling out but realised it wasn't safe. Or got stranded in the middle of the road at traffic lights when the lights change to red when your stuck in a jam. I know both these examples can be avoided by good driving, but it does happen all the time.
Or maybe you've run someone over and need to reverse off them so they can get taken to A&E / the morgue.

Richard Quinn

posted on 1/3/08 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billynomates ... Or maybe you've run someone over and need to reverse off them so they can get taken to A&E / the morgue.
May as well run the rear wheels over them instead of the fronts twice - Still no need for reverse

DorsetStrider

posted on 1/3/08 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Or how about if it's someone you REALLY don't like and having run them over once you want to reverse over them again to make sure?

Who the f**K tightened this up!

Mr Whippy

posted on 1/3/08 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know how anyone could be bothered not having reverse, even a 400kg car is difficult to push up a slight slope and there's aways risk the damn thing might roll away. About time.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iiyama

posted on 1/3/08 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
I havent got a reverse and it was a concious decsion not to fit one. Didnt have one on the bike either and never had a problem with that. And before anyone says that the bike was a lot lighter then the car, yes it was. However pushing that was difficult so I never put myself in a position where it had to be pushed.

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

Mr Whippy

posted on 1/3/08 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iiyama
I havent got a reverse and it was a concious decsion not to fit one. Didnt have one on the bike either and never had a problem with that. And before anyone says that the bike was a lot lighter then the car, yes it was. However pushing that was difficult so I never put myself in a position where it had to be pushed.

yeah right I wiped out the reverse on my alegro and lost count of the times I had to ask for help to push the car back - dead ends, trying to get out of a parking space after being blocked in, miss reading the ground slope it's just endless. Totally sucked

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Clive

posted on 1/3/08 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have a link to this reg.

I have been looking through the draft IVA regs posted on cobraclub.com and I can see no mention of a requirement for reverse gear in them.

*Edit*

Ignore me, found the relevent passage (All vehicles must be equipped with a device for reversing which can be operated from the driving position) here http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/automotive/directives/vehicles/index.htm

Damn

[Edited on 1/3/08 by Mr Clive]

Schrodinger

posted on 1/3/08 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
You do realise that the directive is dated June 1975 and that not all of the regulations apply to Amature Built Vehicles.
Thats not to say it will not come in under the IVA. Also look at this
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=84122&pid=702004

Keith
Aviemore

bobs bangers

posted on 2/3/08 at 01:04 AM Reply With Quote
Picture the scene... You have just arrived outside of a pretty country pub on a summer sunday afternoon. Outside the banches are crammed with company car drivers green with envy at your beautiful "toy". A raucous sporty car that cries freedom whilst they have had to come out in their mobile office they have been imprisoned in all week ! Out gets your equally stunning passenger !! You sip your "low alcohol" pimms and then.... In front of the audience you have to manually push back the car and they all think .... Ha ! hasn't even got reverse.!! The downside with reverse is that it's quite expensive and not too reliable. I am installing one in mine because a) reasons above b) I can't do a donut in every driveway c)It adds some resale value d) makes it easier to get a new 08 plate. Horses for courses I know and Its a shame it's being IMPOSED as its nice to be able to choose especially for locost reasons. Just my thoughts
mistergrumpy

posted on 2/3/08 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
What??
a) Not true. If its a screaming lightweight sportscar that they think then they'll appreciate this, plus its a little different. A talking point.
b)No worries. Push it in and drive it out or do it t'other way
c)Not true
d)How does a reverse affect what year plate you get???

There you go all your problems solved. You said it all at the start "it is quite expensive and not too reliable" That'll impress them outside the pub when your crawling backwards and the motor start to zizz and slip
Oh and:
"You sip your "low alcohol" pimms"
Pimms?? No way, never. Just no.Pimms is more of a social comment than a drink

02GF74

posted on 2/3/08 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iiyama

there is a technique to pishing - you don't just grabthe rollbar and then pretend your are an Iceladnic competitor on Wrold's strongest man but use the lever effect by grabbing the tyre and pushing on that.

I have moved a LR like that up a slight incline.

mistergrumpy

posted on 2/3/08 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
You might want to correct that typo as the words 'pishing' and 'pushing' have two completely different meanings.

stuart_g

posted on 2/3/08 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
What??
a) Not true. If its a screaming lightweight sportscar that they think then they'll appreciate this, plus its a little different. A talking point.
b)No worries. Push it in and drive it out or do it t'other way
c)Not true
d)How does a reverse affect what year plate you get???

There you go all your problems solved. You said it all at the start "it is quite expensive and not too reliable" That'll impress them outside the pub when your crawling backwards and the motor start to zizz and slip
Oh and:
"You sip your "low alcohol" pimms"
Pimms?? No way, never. Just no.Pimms is more of a social comment than a drink

You can not get a new plate if the car does not have a reverse.

OX

posted on 2/3/08 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobs bangers
In front of the audience you have to manually push back the car and they all think .... Ha ! hasn't even got reverse.!!

im sure some folks do think that but when they hear the car start up and then see it shoot off in to the distance they are all still thinking 'i want one'

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 3/3/08 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
In road-going format my BEC sports a Westfield reverse gearbox, it's been pretty much used every trip out. On the track, it gets swapped out for a centre bearing kit, simply because it can't take the stress. If it could stand track abuse, I'd keep it in - pushing the car around the paddock is pain.
BTW, camping/touring with my R1150GS, I WISH that had reverse - all up weight (even without the Boss on the back) can't be far off the BEC!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.