Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Max letter - Only 50% of the fuel to run an F1 car....
carpmart

posted on 3/7/08 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Max letter - Only 50% of the fuel to run an F1 car....

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/080703164727.shtml

........I have been suggesting this for years in my small circle of friends. Hopefully turbo's and other 'innovations' will now be allowed back in to F1. Also, according to Moseleys letter, the developments used to save fuel should be 'road' focused.

My idea is a simple one, give the teams a fixed fuel allowance and slack off a load of other rules and let the creative F1 talent produce innovation valid to us all!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

nitram38

posted on 3/7/08 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
I won't listen to Moseley......he's a fruit loop.
F1 should be the last bastien of out and out racing. It's not an endurance race to see how far you go on tank of fuel, it is who covers the distance the fastest.
If I wanted economy, I would have traded my car in for a sinclair C5.
I want to see racing.

carpmart

posted on 3/7/08 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
F1 should be the last bastien of out and out racing. It's not an endurance race to see how far you go on tank of fuel, it is who covers the distance the fastest.
I want to see racing.

Agree Mosely is a complete prat but I disagree on the rest.

F1 is about technology. Diesels were clattery old things in buses and plant until innovation took hold and now they are relatively efficient, high power producing engines winning Le Mans.

Why not have the F1 paddock focused on producing the same speed from less fuel. This ahs to help us as petrol heads as we all love power and performance but with fuel prices rocketing, it would be good to ge that performance from less fuel.

I hope you get my drift on this????

'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8

mr henderson

posted on 3/7/08 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carpmart
quote:
I want to see racing.

Agree Mosely is a complete prat but I disagree on the rest.

F1 is about technology. Diesels were clattery old things in buses and plant until innovation took hold and now they are relatively efficient, high power producing engines winning Le Mans.

Why not have the F1 paddock focused on producing the same speed from less fuel. This ahs to help us as petrol heads as we all love power and performance but with fuel prices rocketing, it would be good to ge that performance from less fuel.

I hope you get my drift on this????

I do. I think it's an excellent idea and the time is right for it too.

John

Jackman

posted on 3/7/08 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
F1 the most boring motorsport on the planet ! BTCC is far better as well as nascar.
Mark G

posted on 3/7/08 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Easy, I don't know what all the fuss is about!

carpmart

posted on 3/7/08 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jackman
F1 the most boring motorsport on the planet ! BTCC is far better as well as nascar.

Thats the whole point, if they relax the rules to get more power from less fuel, the turbo's should be allowed back in again which would make it much more interesting again.

'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8

nitram38

posted on 3/7/08 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
You guys have got a short memory.
In the days before fuel stops, you raced on the tank of fuel you started with, for the whole race. The tanks had a maximum size, the distance of the race was set so there was your limits.
Cars are still encouraged to use less fuel as more fuel requires more pitstops.
If you don't have a fuel effiecient car, you will lose the race.
Your arguement is flawed

Jackman

posted on 3/7/08 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Mmmmmmmm! there are many other motorsport series that run more competetively without the use of turbos ! I think F1 has other issues like the cars being to relient on down force etc
indykid

posted on 3/7/08 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

the same BTCC where teams are now running E85 are they not?

just because it doesn't follow the weber philosphy of throw petrol at it to make it go faster doesn't neccessarily mean it's bad for motorsport.

it's why i don't quite understand nitram's view that motorsport should be exempt from advancing technology to increase efficiency. it's a good way to why we're not all still driving pinto powered daily drivers.

tom

RichieW

posted on 3/7/08 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
I thought they had just recently decided to halt engine development to stop build costs rising.

All Moseley's letter means is millions is spent on research again and boring racing is the result as the fat wallet teams buy their way to the front again.
How are the smaller teams supposed to compete?

BenB

posted on 3/7/08 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Why not just limit the max size of fuel tanks.... Consider the penalty of pit stops I'm sure the cars would become fuel efficient....
nitram38

posted on 3/7/08 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
As I said, it's called RACING, not ENDURING.
They already have championships for driving the furthest on 1 ltr of petrol etc.
It's interesting, but dull to watch.
F1 is what it is. Fast.
Does it not occur to you that all F1 racing teams are trying to get the most power from their engines from the least amount of fuel or is it just me being thick?
Engine designers don't build engines without considering fuel consumption do they?

[Edited on 3/7/2008 by nitram38]

nitram38

posted on 3/7/08 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Why not just limit the max size of fuel tanks.... Consider the penalty of pit stops I'm sure the cars would become fuel efficient....

They already do

carpmart

posted on 3/7/08 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB

They are limited already. The penalty of stopping at some circuits is large whilst at others small depending on a number of factors.

I think my point still stands; providing a fixed amount of fuel and reducing the limitations on what a team can do from an engine perspective will drive innovation which we will all benefit from. All upside as far as I can see!

'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8

Jackman

posted on 3/7/08 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
We do all have alot of diffrent veiws! But one thing i think we do all agree on is that F1 dose need somthing to make it more intresting to watch.
nitram38

posted on 3/7/08 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
If you want a fuel efficent car go here

nitram38

posted on 3/7/08 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
We do all have alot of diffrent veiws! But one thing i think we do all agree on is that F1 dose need somthing to make it more intresting to watch.

People who say this have never driven a single seater car.
Try one and you might change your mind.
The mentallity of a BTCC Driver is a lot different to any single seater formula driver.
What might look spectacular in BTCC usually kills F1 drivers, so they try not to look "interesting" for the sake of you.

carpmart

posted on 3/7/08 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
If you want a fuel efficent car go here

Impressive as this (in a certain way) it still misses my point.

The F1 teams employ arguably the best brains/engineers that exist. If their focus is shifted to producing more efficient engines but with roughly the same power, it will lead to innovation from which we will all benefit. If at the same time the spectacle of F1 is improved as people can turn up the wick on their turbo to overtake or change the gearing on their supercharger to get that bit more power, it is all upside!

I hope I have managed to articulate what I am trying to convey?

'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8

Paul TigerB6

posted on 3/7/08 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with Martin on this one (and i used to work for Shell Research who did the F1 fuel, and was even asked to apply for the job doing the fuels and lubes testing at the GP's).

F1 is surely about racing to the maximum performance given the limits of engine size and within the thousnads of other limits they have on the cars. If they want to start meddling (yet again!!) in an attempt to push more fuel efficient race cars then why not do it in a more suitable series - surely something like the Le Mans endurance cars would be more suitable and surely the technology used is closer to road cars???

carpmart

posted on 3/7/08 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
I'm with Martin on this one (and i used to work for Shell Research who did the F1 fuel, and was even asked to apply for the job doing the fuels and lubes testing at the GP's).

F1 is surely about racing to the maximum performance given the limits of engine size and within the thousnads of other limits they have on the cars. If they want to start meddling (yet again!!) in an attempt to push more fuel efficient race cars then why not do it in a more suitable series - surely something like the Le Mans endurance cars would be more suitable and surely the technology used is closer to road cars???

Please read my posts again. I am in favour of the maximum performance possible and don't want to degrade F1. All I am saying is that if you shift the innovation focus in F1 to fuel efficiency whilst maintaining the power, the exceptionally talented individuals employed in this sport will come up with some great technology that we have not even considered. This innovation will be of benefit to everyone (you, me your mum, our kids et al) whilst not diminishing the spectacle of F1. A win win if ever there was one!

'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8

Paul TigerB6

posted on 3/7/08 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
But it just wont work like that in reality. Even the fuels used are blended to optimise the power output of the engines which run at up to 19,000 rpm - and its bugger all like pump fuel!!

To move the goal posts towards promoting fuel efficiency but expecting the teams to maintain the power will highly likely mean the gap between the big teams and little teams gets wider and wider and forces costs up across the board.

Seems like the whole thing is a ploy by Moseley to divert attention off the fact that he should have been booted out and try to win a few mates in the form of the green lobby - jumping on their band wagon

nitram38

posted on 3/7/08 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
They are already trying to get maximum fuel efficiency!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No engine designer is going to make the highest power engine at the cost of using more fuel.
They WANT the most power at the least fuel.
The only way to reduce fuel by 50% is to introduce maximum speeds to 50% of what they are now.
That is called Formula Ford, GP2 etc where everyone has the same equipment which limits the top speed.
This is F1 and the cars are all different but within defined limits of the FIA.
This means that the teams are ALWAYS developing the car towards making it faster within these rules.
All Moseley is doing is joining the "green" clean brigade to take people's minds off his own dirty little secret.
He wants people to think that he is not so bad after all.
He is just part of the same propaganda machine that is extracting more money from everyone, while lining his own pockets.
It's about time that the FIA is lead by a proper racing driver and not this interfering idiot.

RK

posted on 3/7/08 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
It's about image: F1 doesn't want to look like it's a dinasaur. It wants to look modern and cutting edge (again); and that involves a bit of "conservation".

There was an article in the French language Reader's Digest recently about a guy from Chicago who, by paying attention to his driving habits, burnt about the same amount of fuel as a hybrid driver. The point is that there are ways to save energy, and if F1 looks like it's making an effort, everyone will make an effort.

nitram38

posted on 3/7/08 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
It's about image: F1 doesn't want to look like it's a dinasaur. It wants to look modern and cutting edge (again); and that involves a bit of "conservation".

There was an article in the French language Reader's Digest recently about a guy from Chicago who, by paying attention to his driving habits, burnt about the same amount of fuel as a hybrid driver. The point is that there are ways to save energy, and if F1 looks like it's making an effort, everyone will make an effort.

I can imagine it now:
After the race at Silverstone, Lewis Hamilton said " I may have come second to last, but at least I saved 12 litres in fuel".
"I'm doing my bit for the enviroment and the common man"

Like that is ever going to happen

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.