Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Pros and cons of combined wings/front end designs
mr henderson

posted on 9/7/08 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Pros and cons of combined wings/front end designs

A good few years ago there were at least two kit cars that had a combined wing/front end design
The Dutton Phaeton (Mk2)

and the Sylva Star

I personally like these (I even built a Dutton (though that was mainly because it was cheap)) and can see no reason why the idea and style isn't still perfectly valid.

All opinions welcomed

John

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/7/08 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chris_smith

posted on 9/7/08 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
im with mr w on this one
mr henderson

posted on 9/7/08 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Any particular reasons?

bob

posted on 9/7/08 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
One small knock could end up a big ££ repair on one piece back and one piece front fibreglass kits, at least cycle wings and nosecones are easilly replaced/fixed.

ReMan

posted on 9/7/08 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Ford along with other major manufactureers do quite a good job of blending the wings and front....
Or do you want a lotus 7?

[Edited on 9/7/08 by ReMan] Rescued attachment fiesta_2col.jpg
Rescued attachment fiesta_2col.jpg

mr henderson

posted on 9/7/08 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Ford along with other major manufactureers do quite a good job of blending the wings and front....
Or do you want a lotus 7?

So do Volkswagen

But I don't specifically want a Lotus 7, just a nice car

John

Humbug

posted on 9/7/08 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
I've often thought about that type of front - would keep cr@p off the front suspension and make it a tiny bit more aerodynamic. My personal preference would be a "normal" type of nose cone shape (i.e. not square like the Dutton) with the enclosed wheel arches. To get over the possible expense/hassle if a wing gets knocked, there is no reason why the wings couldn't bolt on like rear ones. Also, you could still make a separate bonnet with a bit of thought on fixings at the front, or have a separate bonnet bolted to the nose so the whole lot hinges for access.
iank

posted on 9/7/08 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
I like the integrated nose/bonnet look (F27 and early Striker mkII, but not so much the integrated wings.
Purely a style thing for me so do whatever makes you happy.
The cost of having a bang and having to replace the lot is a valid one unless you have separate cycle wings that bolt onto the bonnet moulding.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Paul TigerB6

posted on 9/7/08 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
I've gotta be honest i think those two are pretty ugly and think the more enclosed shapes with the wings blended in more work better for me rather than the rear wings being very se7en-esque

Something along the lines of the RAW Fulcrum

bob

posted on 9/7/08 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
getting away from the 7 style then, i remember seing a kit at stoneleigh a few years back (Dodge Viper style) that has seperate bonnet but single piece front wings valance and slam plate.
The card did look good with smooth lines, but i am sure i have seen the model since with seperate wings so there must be a reason for the change and i can only think manufacturing costs comes into play.

D Beddows

posted on 9/7/08 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'm actually with Mr Henderson on this one (a bit - I'll need a bit of convincing on the Dutton front!) I think this actually a pretty good looking car

[img][/img]

especially if you compare it to a Vindicator or even an old style Robin Hood....... or maybe Its just me

mr henderson

posted on 9/7/08 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
We've discussed the aesthetics, but there hasn't been too much talk about weight, aerodynamics etc.

In case anyone was wondering, I wasn't proposing that either of the designs should be copied, just the underlying principles

John

indykid

posted on 9/7/08 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob
getting away from the 7 style then, i remember seing a kit at stoneleigh a few years back (Dodge Viper style) that has seperate bonnet but single piece front wings valance and slam plate.
The card did look good with smooth lines, but i am sure i have seen the model since with seperate wings so there must be a reason for the change and i can only think manufacturing costs comes into play.

i seem to remember reading in a kit car magazine, can't remember which one, that it was originally a one piece moulding but it made it look like a cheap copy of a viper.... which obviously it is. the shut lines from the seperate panels were put back in to make it look more authentic, no doubt increasing cost from having more flanges and seperate moulds.

tom

Jubal

posted on 9/7/08 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
I have recently become interested in the aerodyamics side of things. However, I think the Fury design already does the enclosed kit car thing rather well. The LMP look also interests me. Spire/Radical etc.

bob

posted on 9/7/08 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
quote:
Originally posted by bob

i seem to remember reading in a kit car magazine, can't remember which one, that it was originally a one piece moulding but it made it look like a cheap copy of a viper.... which obviously it is. the shut lines from the seperate panels were put back in to make it look more authentic, no doubt increasing cost from having more flanges and seperate moulds.

tom

Thats the one tom i'm sure,seems strange to make the changes for those reasons as it was a dead horse from the off. I did some searching and now realise what a pile of sh1te it was.

Isnt the midas range a one piece affair ?

MikeCapon

posted on 9/7/08 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
What about this one?

[img][/img]

www.shock-factory.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Volvorsport

posted on 9/7/08 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
aerodynamics , use of a std radiator , intercooler .

SVA , No nut and bolt covers .

Can use a better chassis for layout and hanging things off , the fisher fury as an example .

things against it , uniqueness , in that you cant just buy a nosecone to fit a 'book ' chassis .

i personally prefer the full bodied type .

and have in fact bought some dutton bodywork to pursue this avenue so that more std parts can be used, and design a better more practical chassis .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

mr henderson

posted on 9/7/08 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
As far as the aerodynamics are concerned, I think everybody agrees that enclosed wheels are better.

In effect, then this means that the issue as fas as LSIS are concerned is whether the open are between the front and rear arches, such as we see on the Dutton and Sylva designs, is better or worse than continuing the bodywork as would be done on an LMP, or in the picture above provided by MikeCapon?

I should imagine, though I don't know, that the continued bodywork would be better, but it would definitely be heavier and make access more difficult.

Perhaps the combined wings/front end should be seen as a compromise aerodymanic solution

John

mr henderson

posted on 9/7/08 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
As far as the aerodynamics are concerned, I think everybody agrees that enclosed wheels are better.

In effect, then this means that the issue as fas as LSIS are concerned is whether the open area between the front and rear arches, such as we see on the Dutton and Sylva designs, is better or worse than continuing the bodywork as would be done on an LMP, or in the picture above provided by MikeCapon?

I should imagine, though I don't know, that the continued bodywork would be better, but it would definitely be heavier and make access more difficult.

Perhaps the combined wings/front end should be seen as a compromise aerodymanic solution

John

Mr Clive

posted on 9/7/08 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
How about something like donkervoort have done?

Its not the prettiest car but the concept could be a good starting point

RK

posted on 10/7/08 at 01:47 AM Reply With Quote
There are not many times one can use this word, but this one seems to fit: "GHASTLY"

However, it is a starting point, as said.

RK

posted on 10/7/08 at 01:48 AM Reply With Quote
another

WanchaiWarrior

posted on 10/7/08 at 05:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
There are not many times one can use this word, but this one seems to fit: "GHASTLY"

However, it is a starting point, as said.

But then again, the builder (Kasper) has a road going clubbie, plus a changeable front that aids in aero's when he's on track, which if memory serves, improves his lap times compared to other similar cars.

RK

posted on 10/7/08 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, I was referring to the Donkeyvoort. It may be practical, as long as you can get in, but it looks, as we may say here in Canada, "like sh*t". The NZ car looks amazing. He should sell those front ends. I'd buy one as long as he can get them to NA within a reasonable amount.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.