Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Harness Upper Anchorage
Stott

posted on 15/8/08 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
Harness Upper Anchorage

Morning,

Wondering if anyone knows if the upper harness anchorage on a 3pt harness needs to be central to the seat or can it be offset slightly, say 2" max?

Can't find any reference to the central location of it in my SVA manual, has anybody any experience with this?

Thanks in advance!
Stott

Flamez

posted on 15/8/08 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote from sva manual

On a harness or 3 point belt, check that the upper anchorage position , measured vertically above the reference point as described in annexe 4, is 450mm or more;

Annexe 4 rectangular distance block [ 136mm x 53mm high] placed on the seat where it meets the backrest
From the front edge of this block the anchorage point must be a minimum 450mm

On a lap/diagonal belt [is this a 3 point belt?] The the location must also be be a min of 140mm from the longitudanal centre line

There you are two reference points to work from

Sounds pretty clear to me. hth

[Edited on 15-8-08 by Flamez]

Stott

posted on 15/8/08 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah I got that in my book, made a distance piece and my min upper height is good but I'm off centre by about 1.5"

I took lap/diagonal to mean a conventional tin top belt, mine are 3 point harnesses, especially as the measurement is a minimum offset distance rather that max.

I guess it's in spec being so close and not specifically covered, thanks!

AdamR

posted on 15/8/08 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
However you sort the mounting point, you need to be careful that the harnesses are not deflected by the seat as they are in my pic:

harnesses
harnesses

Unless you are going for a low back seat this is much easier to achieve with 4 point harnesses. Just somethging to bear in mind if you've not considered it already!

Stott

posted on 15/8/08 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
I've been working on his problem all morning (staring at it smoking and drinking tea)

I have fiberglass seats with harness holes, I can get the harness to line up with the middle of the holes but depending on who is sat in there the harness can be deflected by either extreme of the hole.

Suggestions anyone? At the moment I'm leaning towards buying 4 points and flogging the 3's I've got here

I'm off to work (stare) at it some more............

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.