Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Civilians with official speed cameras
DarrenW

posted on 31/10/08 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Civilians with official speed cameras

Ive just heard that 6 people in village next to me are getting trained to use hand held speed guns with cameras built in. Apparently you cant get convicted off one but DVLA will issue a caution if you are caught.

Anyone else heard about this?

Andy D - its up in Toft Hill if you are interested - even closer to you than me!

Mr Whippy

posted on 31/10/08 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
are the police too scared to go outside anymore?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 31/10/08 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
are the police too scared to go outside anymore?

I think they are in some of the villages where i live. The old biddies are a law unto themselves. It is cold now at the mo as well so you cant blame them i think the local Post Offices run the law and order system - and you thought it was PO cut backs that were closing them down?!

Jubal

Regular occurance round our way. Gives the pensioners something to do...
pewe

IIRC Hampshire have been using this for a couple of years. May be worth googling Hampshire Police. Cheers, Pewe
Dangle_kt

posted on 31/10/08 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
why employ police officers when you have a band of highly motivated and miss informed civilians?

Oh thats right because police officers might be distracted by REAL crimes while at the road side like catching drunk/uninsured/drivers of stolen cars doing hit and runs and driving dangerous vehicles.

When will this media obsessed country realise that we are fed propaganda about easy to solve crimes to avoid the real issues.

NS Dev

posted on 31/10/08 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
a chap at our work got one of those cautions after having someone holding a speed gun jump out of a hedge in his village.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Mr Whippy

posted on 31/10/08 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Vigilante biker

feel good about yourself and take the law into your own hands...

Vigilinky

[Edited on 31/10/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
v8kid

posted on 31/10/08 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
What about the father of some poor kid who has been killed by a speeding motorist. Do you think he would share such selfish and irresponsable views?

Bet He wishes the "biddies" and "pensioners" were around then.

Speeding on public roads kills and no more so than in built up areas.

If you want thrills go to a track day don't pedal tripe here.

myke pocock

posted on 31/10/08 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
More to the point, if there is a speed limit KEEP TO IT, then you aint got a problem. There are plenty of other places you can go loony. I got done at 4.30 in the morning for 34 mph. Didnt like it one bit but I know the rules and so it was tough s**t.
flak monkey

posted on 31/10/08 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid

Speed doesnt kill, its irresponsible use of it that does. Exactly the same as guns...

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Mole

posted on 31/10/08 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Have to agree. Had points and fine myself, didn't like it but no one to blame but myself.
ravingfool

posted on 31/10/08 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
The trouble is that whilst speed limits are necessary and justified in many applications most importantly in built up areas where pedestrians are a danger, they are being lowered and applied much more widely as a vote getter for the increasing hordes of the aged!

Each motorist is responsible for driving appropriately with regard to the road, area and conditions. Speed limits should not be used as a replacement for that responsibility which apparently few can be trusted with these days.

With the proliferation of 30 mph speed limits in areas that don't warrant them people are just ignoring speed limits across the board as frequently 30 is a ridiculous speed to be doing. I see this all the time where I live and still local politicians are calling for lower limits despite very little in the way of accidents from the very large volume of traffic throughout the day.

This is all just my opinion of course and you're all welcome to disagree with it, but at the moment there are spots of higher speed limits between villages, and the speed limit changes as you enter the next village to, sensibly, 30. However the local council wants to join up all the 30 zones. This is going to just slow down the whole area even more and make it a nightmare for those of us who actually live here and need to get out! And outside of the rush most people will completely ignore the speed limit not only through the bits it's safe to be going quickly, but also through the villages themselves.

Sorry this was all a bit off topic but I meant to say we also have the biddy brigade with cameras, and they patrol a few places where there is little traffic and very little in the way of houses, children, or danger! WASTE OF TIME! [/RANT]

[Edited on 31/10/08 by ravingfool]

jollygreengiant

posted on 31/10/08 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid

Speed doesnt kill, its irresponsible use of it that does. Exactly the same as guns...

Seconded.

If speed kills then there would be NO racing drivers. What kills people is drivers who drive out side of their driving abilities/road conditions/vehicle limits and generally without due care and attention. I saw a chap who got killed driving at less than 30mph in a 30mph zone. Cause of death, not paying attention to the road in front, in particular, the flat bed truck reversing out of a commercial repair premises.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

v8kid

posted on 31/10/08 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Trouble is we all like to think we are good drivers - wether we are good or bad.

Pedal the crap that you are better than everyone else and pretty soon they will change the law so that if you kill someone whilst speeding its an automatic murder charge.

Don't want that!!!

So don't spread the word that it is OK for the "elite" to speed or that's what will happen sure as god made little green apples!!!

DarrenW

posted on 31/10/08 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Before this posts spirals off at a tangent i was just raising awareness that it is not just the authorities that can now catch you doing a shade over the limits.

scootz

posted on 31/10/08 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Tangents are good... !

The thing that really bugs me is the lack of consistency in punishment.

SCENARIO 1

Late summers evening - still daylight available. Dry dual carriageway - no cars in immediate vicinity. Driver cruising at 101mph. Picked up by static camera van in distance... courts summons resulting in large fine and ban!

SCENARIO 2

Lunchtime - dull, wet and windy day. Busy town street (just outside school). Driver in a rush at at 37mph. Picked up by fixed camera... no courts summons - 3 points and small fine.

Now you tell me who is the biggest danger / most irresponsible?

Neil P

posted on 31/10/08 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
The 'civvies' are exactly that and have no power to prosecute you in any way, shape or form. The warning notices they send you are worthless, throw them in the bin.

The problem only comes when, having clocked loads of speeders they can then legitimately inform police of a speeding problem and you may well find that that road is then subject of some enforcement because a problem has been identified.

It's not something that is supported by a lot of forces and the warning letters are contrary to ACPO guidance.

I would say, though, that if a 30 mph speed limit has been put in place there's going to be a good reason for it. It's proven that many people survive impacts at that speed and their chances go down significantly as the speed goes up.

The comment about dealing with real crimes like drink driving etc made me smile. Isn't that what most people say when they get stopped for those sorts of offences?

Neil

chrisg

posted on 31/10/08 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
I'm well out of step here, I must be the only one who thinks that speed cameras are a way of raising revenue and have as much to do with road safety as blancmange.......

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

scootz

posted on 31/10/08 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
I agree Chris... static speed camera's are a complete joke! After a couple of weeks in situ the drivers all get to know the locations - slow down and then speed up after.

I'd happily see the camera's removed and replaced with proper Police patrols that can monitor all types of driver behavior - not just speed!

chrisg

posted on 31/10/08 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
And detect ALL motoring offences, not just speed.

Why is it that no one seems to be interested in all the other offences?

Who would you rather share the road with?

Man A who's driving a taxed tested and insured, well maintained car, sober and with no drugs in his system, in possestion of a valid licence - but is doing 45 in a 40 zone or

Man B who's stoned and drunk in a car with bald tyres and no brakes. He'never taken a test, doesn't understand the concept of tax, test or insurance (the car drives fine without them!) but he's just passed that camera at 39.5 mph?

Well?

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

scootz

posted on 31/10/08 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Lets march on Downing Street and get em told!
JoelP

posted on 31/10/08 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
from the comments on the biker thread:

"I think this guy should be tortured to death. Luckily for him, I don't live in England, otherwise I'd run him over with my Pinzgauer. Lots of us would be happier. I say we all start carrying paint ball guns and shoot at him when spotted."

Confused but excited.

posted on 31/10/08 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
As flakmonkey states; speed, like guns, doesn't kill.
However in the wrong place and the wrong hands it can and in both instances it is usually some innocent buystander that gets it.
Especially if it's a policeman driving/holding the gun.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

hobzy

posted on 31/10/08 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
With the risk of a flaming, noise is also an issue with speed through villages. Our place is on a nice fairly wide straight road through our village, but has two playgrounds and a row of shops but at rush hour morning and evening to$$ers come flying through at 40-50. Not only is it way too fast to stop for a sprog, the increase in road noise is immense. No small wonder its Leilandai-ville. The villages round here are beautiful - no idea why on the weekends people hoon through.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.