Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: panhard rod
rash

posted on 10/2/04 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
panhard rod

was thinking of putting a double set " two 45 degree bends" in the rod instead of running it at an angle across the rear of the de-dion anyone have any thoughts???
craig1410

posted on 10/2/04 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Rash,
I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Can you do a quick doodle and post it here or even just explain it a bit more.
Cheers,
Craig.

Mark Allanson

posted on 10/2/04 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
I think an 'S' shaped panhard rod would be given the ability to flex in both tension and compression, giving you unpredictable handling

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

GO

posted on 11/2/04 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
I dont think a very slight flex in the rod will make a noticeable difference to the handling.

Dont forget a panhard rod makes the axle describe a slight arc as it moves up and down anyway, I dont think the effect will be any more noticeable than that. Generally the axle will want to follow the path of least resistance which will be for the panhard rod to rotate on its pivots.

All depends on how much flex it adds to the rod.

However, I'm not sure why you'd want to do it anyway? Is it a space issue?

Although I think the effects would be minor, it is an unknown and there is a risk that it might cause problems as Mark suggests so I'd avoid it if you can.

Suspension, brakes and steering are not areas you want an unknown!!

ed_crouch

posted on 11/2/04 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
an alternative to the panhard rod is to fit a watts linkage.

It works like this:

the chassis has a mounting stud on it on each side, not unlike that for the chassis end of the panhard rod, but there is one on each side. Attach a rod to each, such that the rods are long enough to meet in the midle behind the diff. Attach a 3rd link between the two ends, and drill a hole half way along the 3rd link. Pivot it to the axle/diff/DeDion beam.

This system totally eliminates sideways movement of the axle. More complex and heavier though.

Ed.

If that makes no sense, wait a coupls fo days, them have a look at my website under locost files. I will put a piccy in.

Link is below

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

stephen_gusterson

posted on 11/2/04 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
I woulda thought ANY flex is BAD.

The panhard rod is the only thing keeping the axle from flying out of the side of the car during cornering.

Bends in the rod will be like a built in spring

atb

steve

madforfishing

posted on 11/2/04 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with Steve G.
The forces during cornering are going to make the Panhard straighten out during one direction and compress in the other.
Any extra flex you induce will want to throw the axle one way or another and possibly make your Rose Joints or Metalastic bushes suffer.
Have you looked at attaching the Panhard in another place or shortening it up ?
Just advice, by the way, not trying to preach or be a smart a**

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
madforfishing

posted on 11/2/04 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with Steve G.
The forces during cornering are going to make the Panhard straighten out during one direction and compress in the other.
Any extra flex you induce will want to throw the axle one way or another and possibly make your Rose Joints or Metalastic bushes suffer.
Have you looked at attaching the Panhard in another place or shortening it up ?
Just advice, by the way, not trying to preach or be a smart a**

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GO

posted on 11/2/04 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Still gonna be better than a 4-link though??
Mark Allanson

posted on 11/2/04 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
The panhard rod in my car, and I assume all other book chassis's is set at an angle. As the axle rises, the panhard will follow an arc centred at the chassis bracket and the radius of the length of the rod. With this rise, the axle has a deflection to the nearside of the car which is amplified by the at rest angle of the rod. I raised the chassis bracket to make the rod more horizontal to minimise the effect. It may be me being paranoid, but doing it makes me feel happier about the design Rescued attachment Panhard Bracket2.jpg
Rescued attachment Panhard Bracket2.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

stephen_gusterson

posted on 11/2/04 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
if you work out the 'effective length change' of the rod as it scribes thro the suspension arc, you will find its suprisingly tiny. Its likely to be taken up by the bushes or a small sideways axle deflection.

for a 1000 mm rod scribing a 75mm movement at the end, the length change is 2.8mm

The same effect occurs for front suspension wishbones - as the wheel goes up, it will tend to move inwards by a tiny amount as a whole.

making the rod level at rest like mark has will centre the movement change when static.

draw it out on some scrap wallpaper and see for yourself what the change is

or use the calculator at

http://www.1728.com/pythgorn.htm

atb

steve

[Edited on 11/2/04 by stephen_gusterson]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.