Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: seirra IRS
merkurman

posted on 28/7/02 at 03:31 AM Reply With Quote
seirra IRS

I am looking for sierra IRS info. mainly I am looking for drawings for changing the book plans for either using the stock subframe or a wishbone setup. thanx for helping a yank

nick

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scutter

posted on 28/7/02 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Take a look on the help page of the locost car club site at www.locostcarclub.co.uk theres at diagram that might help. Cheers Scutter
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
merkurman

posted on 30/7/02 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
that kinda helped a little bit. now do you know where to find wishbone drawings? maybe even cad files?

nick

85 merkur xr4ti donor

Alan B

posted on 31/7/02 at 01:16 AM Reply With Quote
Hey Nick,

Are finding that the Merkur is exactly like the Sierra? or are there some subtle differences? I ask because it was on my donor shortlist.
Where are you based? Did Jim recommend you joining here too? Good idea for Sierra info.

merkurman

posted on 31/7/02 at 01:41 AM Reply With Quote
oh I already knew it was about the same.....just a few differences....split quarter windows, and a larger engine, left hand drive....larger hood....some other things. anyways over here in the states I can't find much along the lines of rear wishbone setups and getting them shipped over is out of the question, same goes for a chassis. but seeing how all the swap parts are the same and an IRS is nice to have I thought a xr4 swap would be nice. the only difference is that I will be running a 2.3L ohc turbo motor with a BW T5 transmission with the 7.5"? 3.36:1 rear. although I might look into doing a 8.8" US rear since they are real common and have tons of gears and diffs available (same as a mustang). but who knows this might turn into my senior design project in two years . So basicly I am looking for info to do my own "indy" chassis since I have access to the full shop at school (welding, plasma, cnc mill/lathe) and plenty of equipment at home (MIG, Oxy, chop saw, band saw, hoist, grinders) also if anyone has dimensions for the diff/axles/hubs/uprights or anythign else I could use that for designng my own (cad background)

nick

Alan B

posted on 31/7/02 at 01:49 AM Reply With Quote
Nick,

This is a good build site:

http://www.hoverd.org/Tim/index.html

Shows a westfield and a Dax build, both I think use the sierra diff, one is IRS the other is De Dion.

merkurman

posted on 31/7/02 at 03:18 AM Reply With Quote
what the hell is up with the DeDion rear? it looks to me like a irs converted to a solid axle? or is this just from teh couple pics I have seen? I would imagine that the geometery chages somehow when a wheel travels up and down.

btw I hail from peoria, il midway between chitown and STlouis

stephen_gusterson

posted on 31/7/02 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
DeDion is a really old concept.

its an evolution of a live axle.

For a locost, its less complex than a full IRS system and can share similarities to the live axle.

its key advantage is a reduction in unsprung weight. All you have unsprung is the wheels and hubs and the beam. The shafts and diff are part of the sprung weight of the car.

A lot of small european FWD cars use a 'similar' beam axle - obviously with out shafts or diffs!

atb

steve

David Jenkins

posted on 31/7/02 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Here's a quick snapshot of the de Dion back axle in MK's own demonstrator, if it's of any use to you...

http://homepage.virgin.net/d.w.jenkins/MVC-010X.JPG

Not enough to help you build your own, but good enough to give an impression of size and layout.

David

interestedparty

posted on 31/7/02 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
The other key advantage to the De Dion axle is its ability to keep both wheels vertical to the road surface whilst cornering, something which it is very difficult to get IRS sytems to do

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

merkurman

posted on 31/7/02 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
well I got bored at work today (damn economy) so I opened up a sierra IRS chassis file I d/l and found it to have no dimensions and was a assembly. so I got started pulling it apart and saving off each part to print later this week. one thing through me for a loop though someone used a dark dark grey to draw the shocks and their mounts and it wasn't showing up on my black screen to well (basicly I thought they were missing) this chassis doesn't look too bad though. it will need a little tweaking as the dimensions are metric and I need to convert to SAE for my steel stock.
bass

posted on 1/8/02 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
put pics of my irs in photo archives, bu write up is inprofiled w/bones

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.