Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Would this pushrod work?
sgraber

posted on 1/4/04 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Regarding the drawing. It's obvious that this is for a minimal travel racing suspension. Reverse the bellcrank and you will double the travel at the wheel and halve the travel of the damper.

I know that decreased damper travel has negative effect over wheel control. Those of you who wish to comment on the drawbacks of this aspect of the design in scientific terms may do so now. I would like to know if wheel control will be affected so much as to make a noticeable difference in real life for a street driven car, not a full-bore race car. Please keep in mind that in their original swingarm application these bike shocks see relatively little piston travel in comparison to the original bike's wheel travel AND they are fully adjustable.

Pushrod Bellcranks: Racecars probably use titanium hardware and super strong mounting points for their single shear pivots. But for us regular Joe's, why can't the pivot point and the bellcrank be beefed up and designed to attach to the frame in double shear? I'm sure there is an elegant solution waiting to come out of this.

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jcduroc

posted on 1/4/04 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgraber
Regarding the drawing. It's obvious that this is for a minimal travel racing suspension. Reverse the bellcrank and you will double the travel at the wheel and halve the travel of the damper.

Great thing about pull/pushrods + bellcranks is that you can leverage them as you like; you can even think of making lots of different ones (w/ different leverage) to try & miss!...

quote:
Originally posted by sgraber
Pushrod Bellcranks: Racecars probably use titanium hardware and super strong mounting points for their single shear pivots. But for us regular Joe's, why can't the pivot point and the bellcrank be beefed up and designed to attach to the frame in double shear? I'm sure there is an elegant solution waiting to come out of this.

As for the shock body mounting I think you should try to build a fully triangulated mounting for the bellcrank pivot. In a road car like the ones we're building, with the room we have at that place of the chassis, there's no reason to put that in single shear.

Moreover, to simplify things, I would mount the shocks in a vertical plane perpendicular to the frame sides, coinciding at a node (3 tubes at least) in the lower plane of the chassis. Going backwards doesn't seem very convenient as it will be crowded up there.

Cheers
Joćo

[Edited on 1/4/04 by jcduroc]

JCM

Piledhigher

posted on 1/4/04 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Derf,

that could have been me affecting the R1 shock prices on ebay. I bought three a few weeks back for the front end of my car (one spare).

Cory

derf

posted on 1/4/04 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
r1 Shocks are in high demand here! Nobody look at ebay for the rest of the month, please. I need 2 more (good Idea for a spare, maybee 3).
sgraber

posted on 1/4/04 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
We need a new section of the website - "Ebay Don't bid against list"

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
derf

posted on 2/4/04 at 01:04 AM Reply With Quote
Dont bid against me ebay ID is--- Focusfred

PS: just won #3 $26+$8 shipping

JoelP

posted on 2/4/04 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
derf, you have u2u. see centre top screen!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

derf

posted on 2/4/04 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Nope, not bidding on that one, see the u2u I relied to you.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.