Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: HELP! My axle don't work right
flyingkiwi

posted on 6/4/04 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
HELP! My axle don't work right

Hiya guy's

Just fitted my lovely welded salisbury rear axle to the car and stuck in the half shafts as per Mr Haynes. The problem all started when I fitted the wheels and lowered it off jacks.

That is - the car will roll backwards but will not roll forwards. when I push the car the left wheel tries to go forward but the right want's to go backwards.

I've checked and double checked both that the axle is the right way up (yes) and that I did everything as per the manual (all one line of it) but have no clue as to what the f**k is going on.

Any ideas??

Cheers
Chris

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

Staple balls

posted on 6/4/04 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
is your engine/ prop shaft in? if it is, make sure it's in neutral

flyingkiwi

posted on 6/4/04 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thought of that first, then disconnected the drive shaft to the axle. Still no joy

Staple balls

posted on 6/4/04 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm, that's a little odd, it sounds like the prop end of the diff is stuck or somethings gone a little squewiff

JoelP

posted on 6/4/04 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
id get it back on the axle stands, and have a good fiddle with all 3 shafts on the car that is...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

flyingkiwi

posted on 6/4/04 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm, that might just have to be they way forward, juat gotta get the car out of the garage..........

Is there a left and right half shaft?? Was wondering if swapping them around would do this? The other thing I was wondering about was if the shaft's were not smashed in enough, would this effect it?

got me stumped

Bugger.

theconrodkid

posted on 6/4/04 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like the pinion is too tight or dirt in the bearing

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Hornet

posted on 7/4/04 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
Check its not a brake shoe problem. I believe this is covered in an other post. If its nowt to do with tight bearing then it will prob be brakes.
PS You can use half shafts in either side.
Let us know how u got on dood

albertz

posted on 7/4/04 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Check out this thread, i must be at the same stage as you - and encountering similar problems to you!!!

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=12339

The problem with mine appears to be the brakes binding somehow on the drums, even though the drums slip over the shoes easily. My back left wheel will turn forwards no problem, but binds within 1/4 turn backwards. I think i will just discard the rear brakes - do you think i will get away with that????!!!!

JOE KING.

theconrodkid

posted on 7/4/04 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
if its binding with the drums on its probly a weak/wrongly positioned return spring

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

flyingkiwi

posted on 7/4/04 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
It's not the brakes as I haven't fitted them yet.

Just making a skateboard for the car so I can push it out of the garage. grrrrrrr

flyingkiwi

posted on 7/4/04 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
SORTED! Found out that muppet boy here forgot to tighten the nut holding on the spline at the front of the diff housing, thus allowing the spline to jump out and stop the wheels rotating forward. strange, but all fixed now.

Got me a rolling chassis!! yeha!

NS Dev

posted on 7/4/04 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Two very important things here!! One, do you have the collapsible type spacer behind the nut that wasn't tight? If so, it needs to be renewed/carefully set to avoid destroying the pinion bearings very quickly (check Haynes, it tells you how)

Also, I read further up the thread that the halfshafts are interchangeable side to side, well, yes they are, but don't do it!! You'll be ok with a 1300 crossflow on it but they get twisted in the normal (forwards) direction. If you put them in backwards and then put a lot of power through them they break!! (I had this happen on a rally car, since then we have marked up the shafts when put in with a line down them, the old Nova 1600 16v FWD rally car (I know it's a bit different but!!) with LSD won the contest, 180 degrees of twist in one seasons rallying and did not break, would if you twisted it the other way though!!)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.