Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: type 9 input shaft
stressy

posted on 25/5/04 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
type 9 input shaft

Has anybody tried removing the input shaft of the type 9 box without a complete stripdown at all.

I would be keen to hear if you have, what the basic procedure was.

Cheers

Mark Allanson

posted on 25/5/04 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
I think most of us treat gearboxes like lightbulbs, if it fails it gets replaced

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

j_davis

posted on 25/5/04 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
From what I can remember when I rebuilt my 'box, the internals have to be removed before the input shaft will come out (checks Haynes manual - seems to suggest at least the countershaft has to come out).
You can take the clutch release bearing guide sleeve off which contains the front lip seal, if thats what you want to replace.

If you consider stripping your 'box I'd definitely recommend getting your hands on an older version of the sierra haynes manual (50p from your local charity shop)as it gives a full stripdown with lots of photos.
I picked up a copy of each version of the sierra haynes manual, and it's amazing how it grew in size over the years until the last version where it thinned by half and they stuck in rubbish about how to check your oil level and such like (isn't this already in your handbook?)

James.

NS Dev

posted on 26/5/04 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
James, you just missed the bit where they tell you to take the car to the dealer if the oil level is wrong!!

Seriously, Haynes manuals are now complete and utter crap in my opinion, the wiring diagrams which are supposed to be easier to understand than the traditional DIN diagrams are now flipping useless, they have no gearbox details, diff details or any of that sort of thing. Best bit is they still charge more for them!!!

As James says, get an old one from the charity shop, better by far!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.