Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: steering rack slightly offset
Dale

posted on 3/6/04 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
steering rack slightly offset

After much screwing around getting my steering rack down to a reasonable size(just under 16 inches and still too big ) In order to have the pinion shaft clear my inboard shocks and keep the universal joint at less than 35 deg I have to offset the rack to the passengers side by about .75 inches. I know this is done on some cars as I have seen them with longer tie rods on one side than the other. Actually doing this puts the drivers side right about the sweet spot for zero bump steer but pushes the passengers side farther away from it. Other than having some bump steer on one side I can not see anything that would take away from the handling or safety of the car.
Comments??
Thanks
Dale

britishtrident

posted on 3/6/04 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Good way to evil handling -- especially under braking speak from personal experience. -- pull up a sand back I'll tell you a war story.

Back in the days of yore a certain rear engined british car was made with only one adjustable track rod -- not to bad for road use but if you a lowered the car for the track because of bump steer the adjustable rod ended up about an 3/4" shorter than the non adjustable one. As a result under braking the car would weave and generally bob about" .

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.