Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How long should the sierra steering column compressible bit be ?
givemethebighammer

posted on 5/6/04 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
How long should the sierra steering column compressible bit be ?

How long should the sierra steering column compressible bit be. Just looked at mine and it is not obviously compressed, but looks shorter that pictures I have seen of the column on the web. The length of my black compressible bit is 125mm. How else could I tell if the column has been compressed at all ?

didn't say compressed or compressible enough in this post so here's a few more..

compressed
compressible
compressed
compressible
compressed

PAUL FISHER

posted on 5/6/04 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
compressable,compressible,anyway that squashy bit.

on my car its silver but its also 125mm so I don"t think yours has been compress or squashed
barrie sharp

posted on 5/6/04 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
i think its been mention on here before have you tried a search,think theres a picture as well.
if i find it i,ll post it
barrie

the cars looking good" a blind man would be pleased to see it"
''stop press'' the blind mans seen it said "it felt ok"

givemethebighammer

posted on 5/6/04 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
thanks people,

did search the picture is in ChrisW 's archive ( http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=column.jpg )and shows a column that has been completely compressed. I thought maybe mine had been partially compressed but now the 125mm be has been clarified I guess it hasn't. Just being paranoid, didn't want to fail the SVA based because of it.

thanks again

jolson

posted on 5/6/04 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
That picture looks like mine, and it's not been crashed. I had a moment when I thought it was, but I checked the Haynes manual, and it shows the standard steering column with the corrugated bit expanded, and the adjustable steering column with the corrugated bit compressed. Mine is adjustable and looks the same as ChrisW's photo. I've put the haynes manual drawings in my photo section.

Cheers
John

givemethebighammer

posted on 5/6/04 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry thought that that was the picture being refered to. There was another picture of a standard column that had been compressed and looked much like ChrisW's pic.
bob

posted on 6/6/04 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
The pic is of an adjustable column,non adjustable standard columns look a bit different(longer concertina part on column).

I've used the shorter concertina type as in the picture and had no problems at SVA with it,the examiner gave the steering wheel a few BIG tugs and that was that.

I doubt very much a compressed column would look that neat anyway,but if in doubt have a look in a later sierra/granada manual which has a picture of the shorter type compression part to confirm.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.