Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wheel Studs
greggors84

posted on 16/7/04 at 01:00 AM Reply With Quote
Wheel Studs

Just bought so OZ F1 Alloys. Got them for a bit of a bargain off ebay. They are 14" too, as i have decided to go for small wheels now.

I took a hub and disc along to make sure they fitted. I noticed the studs didnt come throught the holes loads. How many threads are needed to safely secure the wheel nuts?

If they are too short is it easy to change the studs for longer ones. If so where can i get them from?

Thanks

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

millenniumtree

posted on 16/7/04 at 02:44 AM Reply With Quote
Now, I'm no physicist, but I would measure the inside of a lug nut, and reject the wheel if the thread amount is less than half the depth of the lug. I wouldn't feel that safe with less than that, but I dunno much about it really. :\

I saw a guy on the road with 2 lugnuts on a 4 lug wheel. One (or both) of the nuts were loose, and the wheel was wobbling around like crazy and was about to fall off the car!! He was doing 60mph on the highway!!! That can't be good for the threads (or anything for that matter)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 16/7/04 at 05:54 AM Reply With Quote
alloy wheel supliers or raldes will do longer studs,make sure you get the right type of nut as well,the studs are just knocked out with a hammer,pull the new ones in with the nuts and a spacer

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Mark Allanson

posted on 16/7/04 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
Rule of thumb is 1 1/2 x diameter of the stud should be covered by the thread

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Chris_R

posted on 16/7/04 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
My bro put 17's on his last car (MKIII Golf GTi) with spacers, but didn't increase the length of the studs. On my way home from my parents house one night I saw his car at the side of a slip road onto the A1, so I pulled over. 3 out of 4 of the studs had striped and the wheel was hanging by a thread. Lucky he didn't make it onto the motorway and lucky it was a quite time of night.

Personally I'd want to see the stud appearing on the other side of the nut.

Cheers,

Chris.

A bit of slapstick never hurt anyone.

http://www.chris.renney.dsl.pipex.com/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zilspeed

posted on 16/7/04 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
This place here seems to have any amount of all sorts of sizes of studs, nuts etc.
Trackstore

JAG

posted on 16/7/04 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
I went to my local Ford dealer and talked to their spares guy.

They had dozens of different lengths.

He was very helpful and sold me 16 longer studs for about £10 - IIRC!

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.