Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which tyres?
garage19

posted on 20/7/04 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Which tyres?

I am about to purchase a set of tyres for my Indy.
Size needs to be 195/50/15.

I have narrowed it down to the following tyres in my price range.

If any one has any experience of the following or recommendations please pipe up

Prices are for a set of four.

Toyo Proxes TS1 - £125.60

Yokohama AVS Sport - £146

Yokohama A539 - £134

Avon ZV1 - £137.20

Avon ZV3 - £141.20

My thoughts at the moment are buy the Toyos or stump up the extra £20.40 and get the AVS's????

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Doug.

ned

posted on 20/7/04 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
We saw the new proxies at goodwood, they look excellent. I'm prety sure they come in that size too. I'll have a dig round..

Ned.

the r888 http://www.toyo.co.uk/index.php?fuseaction=car.R888&PHPSESSID=e8dde7315aeb495725f48b9ce06a6b32

may not be in your price range though

[Edited on 20/7/04 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
garage19

posted on 20/7/04 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Don't do my size at the mo and probably couldn't get them for the same bargain price as the old ones!

skinny

posted on 20/7/04 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
re Yokohama A539's

just my personal opinion, but i don't much like them. i don't have that size and i don't have them on a locost, but i have not been impressed. i run 175/50 r13's all round on my fiat cinquecento (Sport!) (grp 3 insurance ok!) and have managed to spin it in the dry. they give even worse grip in the wet, will slide quite easily and aquaplane quite badly. i think they are just too hard, they are lasting ages, thats the only good thing about them. also, don't know if it's just my car but they seem to have slowed the steering response. having said that they are a replacement for 165/55 r13's so maybe you can't read too much into that.

just my opinion of course, maybe some people get on well with them, i have definitely seen them used on some locosts, but from personal experience i would never buy them again.

Wadders

posted on 20/7/04 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
The proxes were a bit hard when new, but pretty good once worn down a bit, fine for fast road use, i run them at 16psi though. If you intend to do track days i'd say get something stickier if you can run to it.

i]Originally posted by garage19
I am about to purchase a set of tyres for my Indy.
Size needs to be 195/50/15.

I have narrowed it down to the following tyres in my price range.

If any one has any experience of the following or recommendations please pipe up

Prices are for a set of four.

Toyo Proxes TS1 - £125.60

Yokohama AVS Sport - £146

Yokohama A539 - £134

Avon ZV1 - £137.20

Avon ZV3 - £141.20

My thoughts at the moment are buy the Toyos or stump up the extra £20.40 and get the AVS's????

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Doug.

Jon Ison

posted on 20/7/04 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
flip side of the A539's

the trye used for stock hatch come rain or shine, run them on my sons pug 205 in the series, seem pretty good to me.........

AVS sport, good looking tyre, ran them on my locost, found them lacking grip untill warmed up, whichb took some doing in a locost.

My choice would be A032's or 048's, both nice n soft n easy to warm up.

Kelvin

posted on 20/7/04 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at some Bridgestones.

I run RE720's in that size on my MK1 MR2 and they have been marvellous in all conditions on both track and road. About 50 quid a corner.

Kelvin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 20/7/04 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
~Its all personal choice, but most tyre's are meant for cars weighing double a locost, hence you can go very soft without having to buy a set a week, The AVS never realy did it for me, i did best part of 5k very hard miles on them and they still looked like new, the same hard 5k miles in something weighing 1000kilo's + would have seen them all but u/s.

All IMHO.

pbura

posted on 20/7/04 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Have read some reviews of the Toyo Proxes and Yoko AVS on tire deealer websites. The consensus seems to be that the Toyo performs marginally better across the board, but the Yoko has stiffer sidewalls.

Incidentally, in the US, the Toyo is the more expensive tire, mainly because of lack of dealers.

Pete

garage19

posted on 21/7/04 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
jon - I hear what your saying about the softer yokos but they also cost twice as much as the others.

I think I'll probably go for the Proxes. If the AVS have a stiffer side wall that will be no good for my lighter car.

I will run them at 16 psi and see how i get on - any one got a cheap set of tyre warmers!

Findlay234

posted on 21/7/04 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
as its more or less on the same topic..... what about tyre width? most people i think are running 185's i think but i remember conrod saying something about it being too wide and the car not handling so well........
ernie

posted on 21/7/04 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
yoko tyres

where are you getting these prices for yoko 539s?
garage19

posted on 21/7/04 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
All prices are from MYtyres and include delivery to your door.

I am running a 7 inch rim so I think 185s would be too narrow.
On the yokohama site they say that 7" is the biggest rim you should run a 195/50/15 on. and before ya ask they are saph cossie rims shot blasted and powder coated black. Should be a nice contrast with my red car.

BMF

posted on 21/7/04 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
I am about to get some wheels for my velocity XT.

I wanted to get 16" but everyone seems to use 15", is there a reason for this?

Do people use 195 on the front and 205 on the rear?

The w***field guys seem to.

garage19

posted on 21/7/04 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
16" tyres are expensive. Usually the same price if not more than 17"

The smaller the side wall on 17s tends to make the break away point more un predictable.

Smaller wheels and tyres also mean less unsprung weight which is better for you suspension to cope with.

Lighter wheels/tyres also mean lighter more responsive steering due to less gyroscopic effect.

195/50/15 is a very common size so tyres in this size are cheapest e.g. toyo 195/50/15 £32, toyo 195/45/15 £47!

BMF

posted on 21/7/04 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
So 15" it is then!

What about using 205's on the rear and 195's on the front?

garage19

posted on 21/7/04 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
No problems with that. Just gonna cost you more.

195/50/15 - £32
205/50/15 - £45.70
205/45/15 - about £80

BMF

posted on 21/7/04 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
I like this idea as it means you are not over tyred on the front which would affect the steering, but you can maximise the grip at the rear which will not affect the handling detrimentally.

Lotus do this on the Elise.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.