Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear hubs
gjn200

posted on 30/9/02 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Rear hubs

Does anyone know if sierra rear disk hubs will replace the drum ones? ( or to put it another way...will the disk hubs fit Tripode drive shafts?)
Cheers
Graham

James

posted on 30/9/02 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Graham,

Unfortunately not- you can't even swap shafts as the diff's are different too (different number of splines I believe).

You have to get diff', shafts and hubs etc. as one complete unit.

HTH,

James

gjn200

posted on 30/9/02 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thats what I thourght, but the Tiger avon hub carriers wont take the larger drive shafts. So how the hell did I see one at their open day with rear disks?
Yours confused
Graham

mad_skillz

posted on 30/9/02 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
goto http://www.locostspares.co.uk/ and click on the uprights, hubs,axles and callipers
link. There is a full axle for £90 (disc type) if it helps.
Alex

bob

posted on 30/9/02 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Graham
You need a diff with lobro joints not tripod,if there is one for £90 thats not a bad price.
I've got the MK indy chassis and the hubs woudnt fit until i machined them down a bit,and the bolt holes for hubs are at a different angle too.
Whoever is supplying your hub carriers would need to know what brakes you are using (drums or discs) to fabricate the part correctly.

siert

posted on 10/11/02 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Reading this it seems i have the same problem with my sierra cosworth disc braked rear axle assembly.
My problem is the following: there is a aluminium(?) ridge on the drive shaft which seems to foul a small ridge in the hub carrier. What did you do? take away the small ridge in the carrier or take off the aluminium from the drive shaft...although this might give imbalance in the shaft.
Hope you can help me, i'd like to be sure of the right thing to do before I ruin the hub.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 10/11/02 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Comparing the granda and sierra diifs in the haynes manual, considering the diff itself is similar, the actual shaft couplings are completely different.

The Sierra drum version has 'sockets' into which a splined shaft goes.

The Granada (disk) version has flanges with 6 bolt holes where the stub 'sockets' were.

atb

steve

theconrodkid

posted on 10/11/02 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
the alloy ring is only the abs rotor,its glued on so an angle grinder ,hammer and chisel are called for
jcduroc

posted on 19/11/02 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra rear discs/hubs

quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
The Sierra drum version has 'sockets' into which a splined shaft goes.
The Granada (disk) version has flanges with 6 bolt holes where the stub 'sockets' were.

atb
steve

Steve et al.

I'm trying to design my rear setup plan to use Sierra hubs/discs with my own fabricated uprights.
I have a 1600 Sierra diff, half-shafts, hubs, drums. My question is how exactly are the Sierra rear discs mounted? Is is not possible to make a "hub" that mounts on the splined shaft (as the drum does) and attach the brake disc to it?

Thanks for any help
Joćo Matoso

fastenuff

posted on 19/11/02 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Been thinking along the same lines as you do Jao. Using the hubs from the drumbreak set up, maybe having that machined. Instead off the backplate some mountingpoints for a caliper, posibly citroen bx/subaru/saab or another make which is easy/ cheap to get with handbreak on/in it. Haven't looked further into this as yet. Can't see a reason yet, as to why this won't work or be impossible

Ingmar

theconrodkid

posted on 19/11/02 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
i am using a drum rear,fit rear discs onto drive flanges where drum used to sit and make an upright and bracket to take caliper.
jcduroc

posted on 20/11/02 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Rear Drums to Discs

quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
i am using a drum rear,fit rear discs onto drive flanges where drum used to sit and make an upright and bracket to take caliper.

Can you tell us in more detail how you did that? Got any drawings? Measures?
Which bracket did you use to attach the calipers?

Cheers
Joćo Matoso

Mr G

posted on 20/11/02 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
My XR4i has an XR4x4 LSD and lobro driveshafts connected to the original drum setup rear arms no problem.

So what your suggesting would'nt be a problem.

theconrodkid

posted on 20/11/02 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
for the caliper bracket i put the disc on the drive flange and the calliper on the disc then measured the distance from one to the other,its only a 10mm plate with 4 holes drilled in it and a few washers to space it out to fit properly,ill try to send you a drawing but me and computers dont get on too well

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.