Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bushing kits
b3nny

posted on 1/7/14 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
bushing kits

Had the car back today from having a geo setup and the guy thinks the Bush's are either to hard or there is no internal sleeve as when pushed down there isn't really any rebound and he said this would add to the twitcyness on the road,the cars a lot better after the setup although still a little twitchy.

Are there different grades that can be be bought IE track or fast road as I've looked on eBay and it just seems there the same apart from the colour which is totally irrelevant. I'm looking for a little more comfort as it's a pretty bumpy ride!

Slimy38

posted on 1/7/14 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I would first check whether your bushes are allowing your suspension to move freely. If he's describing it like there is no internal sleeve it does suggest the bushes are binding which is not a good thing for so many reasons.
adithorp

posted on 1/7/14 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
There are different hardneses of bush; The higher the shore number, the harder the bush. E-bay might not be the best place to find a selection though. Try SuperFlex

The hardness shouldn't effect the rebound much though. That is more likely to be either too long a bush or too short a crush tube for the bracket. It coud be, no crush tube fitted, but that would be pretty rare I should think.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

rusty nuts

posted on 1/7/14 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Do a search on here for crush tubes, it's been covered several times
b3nny

posted on 7/7/14 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Managed to take a side apart today and from what I have read the Haynes locost chassis is supposed to have 44mm crush tubes these are 41mm and the bracket looked slightly bent in taking up the extra 1.5mm each side, I measured a rear bracket and this would accept a 44mm tube with around 0.5mm clearance, am I right in saying thenI just need to order the 44mm crush tubes? When the Bush was assembled the tube ssat flush if not a little inside the Bush.

It also creeks when going over speed humps and I think I read this is due to the crush tube being to short?

I popped the shock off also and it was VERY stiff to move!

[Edited on 7/7/14 by b3nny]

Slimy38

posted on 7/7/14 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Absolutely yes, replace those crush tubes with the correct length. Those 3mm missing from the crush tubes are being taken up by the bushes, and I've found 1mm can be enough to lock a bush solid.

As a comparison, I've setup my wishbones so that the crush tubes actually sit very slightly proud of the bush. At the moment it means it can move very easily (in all directions), but I am expecting the bushes to swell slightly which should make them a good fit without binding.

Here's someone on Ebay selling the correct size tube;

Haynes roadster suspension wishbone crush tubes 19mm dia x 44mm long.

If you're planning on replacing them all, you might find someone doing a set for a cheaper price. Might even be worth buying a full set of bushes and tubes maybe?

[Edited on 7/7/14 by Slimy38]

b3nny

posted on 7/7/14 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I see those and they where the ones I would buy, I just measured a Bush in situ and it measured 42mm, I'm debating if I need to replace the actual poly Bush as well or just change the crush tubes, ideally due to expense I'd like to replace just the tubes but if needs must..... Tbh I think the Bush's have been clamped so tight there has been next to no movment, it is rock solid and holds the road like crap!
b3nny

posted on 8/7/14 at 06:05 AM Reply With Quote
I'm looking to place the order this morning for either the crash tubes or a complete set of tubes and bushes,would it be recommended to get the whole set or would I just get away with the tubes? I'm not sure how long they have been on the car as it was like it when I bought it, they are poly bushes that are in there would they be likely to be worn enough to replace due to the way they have been fitted?
Slimy38

posted on 8/7/14 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
I would definitely be worried that the compressed bushes may have been torn or at least worn away. I did look at prices, it's around £40 for the tubes and £60 for tubes plus bushes, and in my humble opinion that would be £20 well spent. Especially considering you've only looked at one side, there may be others that are much worse.
b3nny

posted on 8/7/14 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Where abouts have you seen them for that price? I've seen a complete set on eBay for £60 but they say the size of the Bush is 44mm meaning the length of the tube would be bigger still, Haynes spec is crush tube to be 44mm so I would expect the Bush to be slightly smaller, I've found a small company that specialize in Haynes parts and they do a complete kit for £90, tbh I think your right and it would be wise to bite the bullet and replace the lot while it's apart.
Slimy38

posted on 8/7/14 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Mmm, I've not seen measurements for the bushes themselves, mainly because they're usually a pair of top hats. So for example, this item;

Haynes Roadster Locost Wishbone Bush Front &' Rear Duraflex Polyurethane - Green

The crush tubes are 44mm, but there is no measurement for the top hats as they are two separate parts. The width of the bush then depends on the width of the wishbone tube. If you fit it all together and it seems a bit tight, a quick file of the wishbone tube frees things up.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.