Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what front and back uprights do i use
lee201283

posted on 15/1/03 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
what front and back uprights do i use

what front and back uprights do u use on an avon tiger and do u need any adaption plates to use the standard sierra hubs
kingr

posted on 15/1/03 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
In the book, they use cortina uprights and hubs on the front, so no need for any sierra gear, but they are kinda tricky to get hold of. They mention using sierra uprights, modified, but they don't mention how and what modifications are required.

The rear uprights are fabricated, either by you or tiger, although, in their usual fashion they're gloriously vague about exactly how you are supposed to and even what material you are supposed to make them from, the hubs are standard sierra.

Kingr

sg_frost
Builder

Posts 104
Registered 6/11/02

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roaster in college with students, gulp!

posted on 28/1/03 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Try mk engineering, £35 each for drum brakes, £40 each for disk brake uprights. Very helpfull man though.
kingr

posted on 29/1/03 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Ow much? You're avin a giraffe incha? £80 for a pair of uprights, thank god I'm planning on making my own.

Kingr

200mph

posted on 30/1/03 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
how do you plan to make your own? Am kinda interested in doing this also, but don't really know where to start with this
Cheers

kingr

posted on 31/1/03 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Others have suggested cutting the upright section from the original arm and using that, which is what I'm looking into. It will be rather heavier than it could be, but it should be plenty strong. I'm planning on using cut down 5mm thickness rectangular section, mounting the original mount on the inside inner face of the box, and having the face of the mount protruding through the outer face of the box. I'll then cut the edges of the box and bend them in to form the shape of the upright (and reduce the weight a little). There's a engineering company near me that does loads of farm machinery, so that sort of size stuff is their area, so hopefully I'll be able to blag a couple of short sections from them, or at least not have to buy 6 metres of the stuff, could be pricey.

Kingr

fastenuff

posted on 31/1/03 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
have you seen these rearuprights ...parts.. I think these are looking OK

[Edited on 1/2/03 by fastenuff]

Ingmar

Rorty

posted on 1/2/03 at 12:40 AM Reply With Quote
Kingr
quote:

I'm planning on using cut down 5mm thickness rectangular section

I used BMW hubs for a project once, and when I was cutting up the trailing arms to retreive the bearing housings/caliper mounts, I measured the thickness of the steel. It was 2.5mm, and had a lot of beam and twisting loads on it.
I currently use 1.6mm sheet for fabricating boxed uprights, or if using open-ended RHS, I use 2.5mm or 3mm, depending on the weight/power of the car.
I used to have a 4X4 V8 racer, and it's uprights were open ended 65 x 35 x 3 RHS. Hope that helps.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kingr

posted on 1/2/03 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Just a little bit of over engineering on my part then!!! I think I'll go for 3mm steel then, still more than you use, but a considerable weight saving all the same.

Kingr

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.