Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Downlink bush under pressure
andyd

posted on 3/4/02 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Downlink bush under pressure

When my downlink is attached to the steering rack, the rubber bush seems to be under a fair amount of pressure.
Is this bad?
The reason is that the steering column goes through the part of the bulk head where the pedal box attaches and is probably slightly too low to keep the downlink connection perpendicular to the rack. I can't do anything about the steering column 'cause that's how Luego make it up. The only thing I could do is to twist the rack in it's mounts in order to make it line up. The rack has a definate flat underside to it which I've mated up to the chassis brackets. Therefore if it has to twist to compensate then it would to be under pressure 'cause of it's rubber bushes.
Is it then necessary to twist the rack?
The rubber on the downlink seems to deform by about 1/4".
Does anyone elses do the same or should I adjust the rack to be on the safe side?

Two problems both in the same evening! I'm glad I've got this forum to ask questions of else I'd be right up s*** creek.

bob

posted on 3/4/02 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
I trust you have a swivel joint at the end of the column end?

Mike McKinstry

posted on 4/4/02 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Andy,had no probs on my MK but strangely on "Sevenbuild" site on "links" Vince had same problem I believe and has put in an extra u/joint(maybe worth a look).Can pressure be relieved by pulling back on steering column,i.e.is column connected to linkage too low??
Mike

andyd

posted on 5/4/02 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I trust you have a swivel joint at the end of the column end?

Hi Bob,

Yup there is a swivel joint but the angle of the steering column won't allow the joint to compensate for the problem.

And Mike...
Good point with the position of the column although I think that going back will make the problem worse but I'll have a look tonight and try both ways.

I have spoken to Grant at Luego about it and he did say don't worry about it too much but I can only see the rubber bits falling apart after a while and need replacing so I'd rather try and sort it now.

Cheers.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.