Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Quick release spigot welding
andyd

posted on 14/3/03 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Quick release spigot welding

I think this has been queried before but I can't find where so I'll ask again...

Thinking of using a SPA design quick release spigot and boss and wondered if I should get it TIG welded onto the steering column or will MIG be enough.

I know it's a safety thing as obviously I don't want the wheel coming off in my hands but would a MIG weld have enough strength for most purposes?

Not being a welding expert I'm not really sure about the difference between TIG and MIG just that I've read that TIG makes a stronger joint.

Opinions anyone?

Andy

Viper

posted on 14/3/03 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Any type of welding will be more than man enough for the job if done correctly.

Tig is no stronger than mig its just a lot neater and the heat involved is more localised.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyd

posted on 14/3/03 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info Viper.

Just what I wanted to know.

Andy

David Jenkins

posted on 14/3/03 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Just one thing - if your car hasn't been through SVA yet, check that they will accept quick-release steering wheels. More to the point, check that they will accept the particular wheel you're planning to use.

This has been a regular fail point, so people go to the inspection with the donor car's wheel fitted and change it after passing.

rgds,

David

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.