Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 19mm radiuses (ii?), where do they apply?
Mark Allanson

posted on 17/3/03 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
19mm radiuses (ii?), where do they apply?

Got the week off work, really attacking the car to catch up, I put in the steering today, and just finished. I used 13mm ERW round tube to mount the upper column, but now remember that you have to have radii of more than 19mm - does this appy just to the dash or anything behind it? Rescued attachment DCP_0619sml.jpg
Rescued attachment DCP_0619sml.jpg

Viper

posted on 17/3/03 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
i believe the 19mm rad is along the bottom edge of the dash, so the whole width of the dash..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 17/3/03 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Does it apply behind the dash?
Viper

posted on 17/3/03 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
the way i read it is the bottom edge of the dash, if the half sphere comes into contact then it should be radiused.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisg

posted on 17/3/03 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Thet don't check behind the dash and anything behind the steering wheel is exempt - don't worry you're fine!!

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Mark Allanson

posted on 17/3/03 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
thanks both, what do you think of the mount?
Viper

posted on 17/3/03 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Very neat,,,

chrisg

posted on 17/3/03 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good Mate, beats the chewing gum and piece of hairy string I used!

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

David Jenkins

posted on 18/3/03 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
One comment on the mount - looks very neat, but watch that you don't have the same problem that I had...

Sit in the car, grab the wheel with both hands, and try to move the wheel and column side to side. If there's a noticeable waggle, then you might consider a diagonal brace (mine's cross-braced to the scuttle wall and pedal box).

regards,

David

James

posted on 18/3/03 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
Got the week off work, really attacking

Mark, I'm a little concerned: I know you lost your barn but looking at this picture you appear to be building at sea? Is your chassis currently balanced on top of a small rowing boat? Do the waves/wash not make welding a little hard? And how did you get a surface flat enough to get your chassis straight?

Or, is it really the case that you've been lying to us all along and you're really building a Pinto powered boat?

Concerned,

James

Dave Ashurst

posted on 18/3/03 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
They checked thoroughly behind the dash at my SVA a year ago.... but then they were checking for min 2.5mm radii (as I recall) on internal projections into the footwell area. I had to put plastic covers over the nuts inside the scuttle for the windscreen support bolts.

19mm radius applied only to the bottom edge of the dash.

I doubt anyone could be sure how they would interpret the rules for the legs of your nice column support structure if they were exposed below the bottom of the dash.

suggest phone them perhaps?

regards
Dave

Mark Allanson

posted on 18/3/03 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
David,

I got the mount 3mm out on first tacks, I put me portapower on it and the 500kg spreader would not budge it, I had to cut out and re weld - I woul be happy lifting the whole car on the mounts

James,

It's ok unless the swell gets above 6 foot, look at my avatar, i am only 1/2 mile away from the mount!

Dave,

the support is made of 13mm round EWR tube so should be ok on the 2.5mm rule, but I will look out for the rest of the stuff I bung under the scuttle

Thanks everyone

Mark

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.