Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Front suspension placement
UncleFista

posted on 20/4/02 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Front suspension placement

Lo all

Been for a drive to MK's today and picked up my wishbones, bushes, axle brackets and ball joints, so I'm all ready to place my front suspension

Now can anyone run me through a simple way of positioning it all ? I've downloaded the plans for a jig from the Yahoo club area, all very nice and simple, but heres where my reservations crop up.
The jig is supposed to be able to place both sides, but I was sure that the upper wishbone need placing slightly further back than the lower although the jig doesn't allow for this. Am I going mad or are the upper and lower 'bones meant to be central to each other ? (sorry but describing a 3D problem aint my forte ).

BTW The suspension brackets I got from MK contain 4 slightly smaller brackets, they're exactly the same as the lower coil-over pick-up points on the lower wishbone so I guess that they're for the coil-over mounts, but why only 4 ? theres obviously the 2 that are already on the wishbone but surely there should be another 6 ? Unless of course the rear lower coil-over pickup points should use the wider ones for adjustment purposes..

PS The "Tangerine dream" was parked outside MK's and it is a bit gorgeous, better finished than MK's 'blade engined creation, very impressive and has helped me get fired up to get mine on its wheels in the next week or two. Sorry for not stopping and introducing myself Chris, but it was a bit busy, I don't know you from Adam and my car was full of kids ;( Next time

TIA

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

ChrisW

posted on 21/4/02 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I've downloaded the plans for a jig from the Yahoo club area

Where did you find that? Been looking through the archive on TOL but I can't see it?

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RoadkillUK

posted on 21/4/02 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
You'll find the plans for the Jig here ...

http://www.designdraughting.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/photo.htm

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 21/4/02 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks!

Chris

My gaff my rules

locodude

posted on 21/4/02 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Yo Uncle F
You'll be giving me and 'The Dream' a swelled head but thanks for the vote of confidence. You should have introduced yourself, I know I'm big but I don't bite!
Chris PTM
p.s. Was that your lad being treated to a donut by mrK?

UncleFista

posted on 21/4/02 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Yo Uncle F
You'll be giving me and 'The Dream' a swelled head but thanks for the vote of confidence. You should have introduced yourself, I know I'm big but I don't bite!
Chris PTM

Hey I'm no dwarf myself
Credit where its due etc. I hope mine looks half as nice as yours.
I would have introduced myself but I was trying to hold on to 2 kids while my brother just ducked in to pick up the bits with the last kid

quote:
p.s. Was that your lad being treated to a donut by mrK?

I wish, it'd have made his day, no-one even started there machine up (but we were there all of 5 mins) ;( Overall I think next time I'll wait until either one of our missus's isn't working and can look after the kids

PS Only bloke in overalls I saw was a white haired older gentleman, is that Mr Keenan ?

Tony Bond / UncleFista

locodude

posted on 21/4/02 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
No that was ken. Martin looks like an egg on legs and allways has blue overalls on, you must have seen him in Which Kit the month before last?. If you want a ride don't be afraid to ask. If you're going over again let me know and I'll see if I can meet you.
Chris PTM

UncleFista

posted on 22/4/02 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Hmmmm, maybe I should have looked at the book before posting
I've just looked and the top wishbone IS set back slightly, but the wishbones are placed centrally, the offset is engineered into the wishbone itself. Simple really

Tony Bond / UncleFista

injected

posted on 29/6/02 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
used the jig as described further up the page. works like a dream. if anyone needs it I am now using it as a stool.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.