Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Front Shocks
rebel

posted on 31/3/03 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Front Shocks

Can anyone tell me what effect the angle of the front shock absorbers has. I have bought a chassi and the front shock mounts have been welded on underneath the chassi rail and further in towards the center line of the chassi by adding another piece of box section to the top rail Rescued attachment Shocker.jpg
Rescued attachment Shocker.jpg

Are you sure that goes there?

Alan B

posted on 31/3/03 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
The more angled they are, the less the effective spring rate is....I.E. they appear softer.

This isn't a problem IF it has been allowed for.

Why was it done, any idea?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PaulBuz

posted on 31/3/03 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
I bet he bought coil-overs that were too long!
Rorty

posted on 1/4/03 at 03:26 AM Reply With Quote
There are occasions when a shock has to be laid over, to fit within certain design constraints. Your chassis isn't one of them.
As Alan says, you can work out a spring rate that will do the job (there's an on-line "angled-shock-spring-rate" calculator on my site), but you're always better off mounting the shock as near to vertical as possible.
I'd try and sell the shocks you have, and buy ones of the correct length.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 1/4/03 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Merry men

They look like RH's Zeemerides to me. Is your bottom wishbone made to the book dimensions. I have them on mine and they fit normally.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

dozracing

posted on 4/4/03 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Depending on the size of the spring (OD) and the design of the top wishbone sometime you have to lean the top shock mount in so that the spring fits up inside the top wishbone V. I think this is one reason why locosts use 1.9" springs and why the MK wishbones use bent tubes and a wide V on the top wishbone.

You get a bigger falling rate effect by angling the shock in like this also. If its the correct length shock the ride height will also be lower than it normally would, although you should get this back on your adjuster, so long as there is enough adjustment available.

Kind regards,

Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

rebel

posted on 5/4/03 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies hope to get it sorted this week.

Are you sure that goes there?

kiwirex

posted on 8/4/03 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
As well as feeling softer initially, they get even softer as the unit approaches the bump stop.

As you get higher up, the shock becomes more horizontal, so there's even less spring compression for every inch of vertical wheel movement.

- Greg H

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.