Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Crushable spacers for diff pinion.
paulf

posted on 8/4/03 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Crushable spacers for diff pinion.

I am looking into changing a diff drive flange on an english axle with a crushable spacer. The spacers do not seem to be available and i have been told that the only option is to reuse the spacer and carefully adjust the preload to the original.
I have been thinking of turning up a solid spacer that is overlength and then set up the pinion shaft and measuring the endfloat witha dial gauge, and adjusting the preload by machining the spacer to suit.
Has anyone else faced the same problem ? or is it possible to buy the crushable tube somewhere.
paul.

westdown

posted on 8/4/03 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
In the time i worked for a ford main dealer it was the norm to mark the nut and refit in the same place once you had done what ever (change the seal etc).

Dave

paulf

posted on 8/4/03 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
I considered this but as i will be changing the flange i am not certain it would be correct unless the flanges are identical.
Paul
quote]Originally posted by westdown
In the time i worked for a ford main dealer it was the norm to mark the nut and refit in the same place once you had done what ever (change the seal etc).

Dave

davef

posted on 9/4/03 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Hi paulf, i was in the same position as you could,nt get hold of factory crushable spacers. so i did exactly what you are considering to do, i made a spacer slightly over size then using a dial indicator fixed to the diff housing i measured the total end float , then worked out the spacer length to give zero end float and then machined off two thousandths to give the correct two thou pre load to the taper roller bearings. cheers davef.
paulf

posted on 9/4/03 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info , that is the way i will tackle it i wasnt sure of how much extra preload to give it.
All i need to do now is find a drive flange.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by davef
Hi paulf, i was in the same position as you could,nt get hold of factory crushable spacers. so i did exactly what you are considering to do, i made a spacer slightly over size then using a dial indicator fixed to the diff housing i measured the total end float , then worked out the spacer length to give zero end float and then machined off two thousandths to give the correct two thou pre load to the taper roller bearings. cheers davef.

Fast Westie

posted on 10/4/03 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Give the spread bit a few taps with the fitting stick and you will have streached out your old spacer. You can then set the preload as specified. If you get it wrong and go too far you have to take it all appart and start again.

If you are putting a lot of power through the axle and intending to do track work, set the diff a bit loose so that it doesn't generate so much heat.

The car in front is a Westfield

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.