Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra Diff Mounting - Direct or via bushes?
craig1410

posted on 8/4/03 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra Diff Mounting - Direct or via bushes?

Hi,
Anyone out there have any strong opinions as to whether I should mount my Sierra diff using poly bushes or just directly to the chassis via steel mounting plates. I've spoken to Chazpowerslide about this and he favours mounting via bushes (which I agree is preferable) but wondered if anyone out there has tried fitting it directly and whether this proved to be noisy or prone to vibration. I'd prefer a simple hard mount for simplicity if possible but if it's going to be hard to live with then I'd rather know now...

I intend to use only the top and bottom mounts, not the rear mount due to potential clearance problems and not the frontmost mount either. I have mounting brackets which were originally made by MK Eng for their de-dion kit.

Any thoughts?
Cheers,
Craig.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/4/03 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
hi

I have mounted mine directly, as the car isnt on the road I dont know if this is good or bad! However, I have read stuff by peeps that have also mounted directly.

A jag xjs has the diff mounted on rubbers. If the car is tuned up, its the first thing that fails!

atb

steve

[Edited on 8/4/03 by stephen_gusterson]

craig1410

posted on 8/4/03 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Steve, sounds fair enough.
I'm not too worried about failure tbh since I would use poly bushes of a bigger size than strictly necessary but I don't like extra complication unless it's really necessary.

From all the photo's I've seen of other Sierra implementations I can't see any signs of bushes but I wanted to be sure.

Are you just using the two upper mounts (one each side) and two lower mounts?

Cheers,
Craig.

bob

posted on 8/4/03 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Craig

Have a look on my archivve,mine is directly mounted top two and bottom two holes.

Viper

posted on 8/4/03 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
The Avon does not use bushes, i am not saying thats a good thing or not...after all it is a Tiger

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MK9R

posted on 9/4/03 at 06:34 AM Reply With Quote
MK Indy doesn't use bushes

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
craig1410

posted on 9/4/03 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks to you all,
I think I'll go without bushes for now although I think I'll space my mounting brackets using a couple of washers inside the bracket so that I can stick in bushes later if necessary.

Cheers guys,
Craig.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 9/4/03 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
btw

im using all the mounts

inc the two small ones on the back plate.

prob overkill tho.

but thats my car all over

atb

steve

craig1410

posted on 11/4/03 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Steve,
I must admit, I'm tempted to attach a small strap (25mmx3mm flat steel) between the rear mounting and somewhere because it just seems wrong to me to only use the upper and lower mounts on their own. If you've seen the large rubber mounting which is mounted to the rear mount on the Sierra then it makes you think that it's there for a reason.

Thanks,
Craig.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 11/4/03 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
yeah, I kinda thought that too.

however, if i recall, the back of the subframe actually hangs from that bracket to an extent - but then it was 2 years ago.....

anyway, I felt it was good to use it but its probably not essential!

atb

steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.