Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Radiator fan ties
David Jenkins

posted on 11/4/03 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Radiator fan ties

As I've just decided to change my radiator I've discovered that I need a few of those push-through ties used to hold the fan against the radiator.

Anyone know where I can get a handful?

David

Peteff

posted on 11/4/03 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Tie wraps

Any electrical or diy hardware should have a selection of different size tie wraps. Or the tool stall if you have a car boot or market nearby.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

David Jenkins

posted on 11/4/03 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking more of the kind you get with the fans - it's a long "wire" made of plastic with a button on one end. You push the "wire" through and push another button over the end.

Sorta like this... <bad ASCII art alert>

|____________________________
|

The "wire" is very thin and goes easily through the rad's matrix and through the little holes in the fan mounting.

I've use the two I got with the fan and, once they're on, they don't come off intact!

cheers,

David

stephen_gusterson

posted on 11/4/03 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
I can get hold of a few ties you can have as a freebie......

for example, I have 8mm wide by 380mm long - look like the tings the US army handcuff people with. Colour is black.

Also have some about 200mm long and 4mm wide.

Let me know if you want any. Liquid hospitality at any time in the uture could be a repayment

atb

Steve

David Jenkins

posted on 11/4/03 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Steve,

Thanks for the offer, but I have hundreds of the conventional cable ties, in all sorts of sizes.

It's the specific ones I'm after...

David

zetec

posted on 11/4/03 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Try calling the people who make the fan, suspect they will post some out, might even get them free being such a loyal customer.
highspeeddirt

posted on 11/4/03 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Car Builder Solutions sell them, £3 plus £1.50 postage. www.nfauto.co.uk

Click on CBS products and they are about half way down the page.

Steve

jonti

posted on 11/4/03 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Is it ok to use the ordinary cable ties then ? Won't the heat allow 'em to stretch ?

OFROK

David Jenkins

posted on 11/4/03 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
HSD - thanks, I'll try them. Looking through my catalogues (now I'm at home) I see that most sell these ties, but at anything from £4 - £6.50 + VAT & packing!

Jonti - I don't think the ones I'm talking about will stretch - they're made from a not very flexible, tough plastic.

Cheers,

David

paulf

posted on 11/4/03 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt use plastic cable ties for this use but you can get some nice stainless ones but they are rather expensive at a pound each from my local factors. RS also sell them in bulk and i am presently thinking of a good use for some at work.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by jonti
Is it ok to use the ordinary cable ties then ? Won't the heat allow 'em to stretch ?

Rorty

posted on 12/4/03 at 03:14 AM Reply With Quote
As stated above, there are special ties for mounting fans directly to radiators, but plain ordinary nylon zip ties do the job too.
The method is to pass a zip tie through a plastic "washer" (just a 19mm dia scrap of plastic with a small hole punched in it), and through the fan and radiator. Thread another plastic washer over the zip tie, then cut one of the "buckles" off a spare zip tie, and slide it down over the zip tie being used, snug it down tightly against the plastic washer/radiator, and snip off the excess zip tie stem.

It's a hell of a lot cheaper than the "proper" ties, and mine have lasted for 3 1/2 years so far.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jonti

posted on 14/4/03 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Well cheers chaps I'll give it a go with me vanilla cable ties then. The washer trick is a good 'un too, stops u putting sideways pressure on the fins.. thanks Rorty

OFROK

stephen_gusterson

posted on 15/4/03 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
I used a rad from a volvo. These have a steel frame around the vertical sides.

I just welded four metal strips about 100mm long from the steel frame across the rad to the fan cage mounts. Before welding on, I welded some bolts on the strips for the fan.

This method puts no stress on the rad as its effectively 'surface mounted' the fan.

atb

steve

scutter

posted on 15/4/03 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Am planning to go the cable tie route.

One question, do you need anything between the fan and the rad?

Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 15/4/03 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
I used some springy rubber foam strip between the rad and the fan housing - stops rubbing and also sives some compliance if you are using a 'clamping' action as a cable tie would cause.

scutter

posted on 15/4/03 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, Stephen was starting to fret for no reason.

Dan.

Rorty

posted on 16/4/03 at 01:02 AM Reply With Quote
scutter:
quote:

One question, do you need anything between the fan and the rad?

I don't place anything between the fan and radiator. As long as the cable ties are fully tightened, their natural elasticity will keep the fan really tight against the fins, so no movement is possible anyway.
Depending on the shape of the fan shroud, sticking foam strips around it may restrict the size of the opening, thereby reducing its efficiency.
If you do choose to go with a foam strip, use the correct product (neoprene), as some of the "draught excluder" type foam strips will disintegrate in time, leaving the fan to move around freely.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 16/4/03 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
I used neoprene strip.

If anyone needs some, I can get hold of it.

atb

steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.