Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fitting Poly bushes
ChrisW

posted on 2/5/03 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Fitting Poly bushes

Simple question - Do I need to lubricate Poly bushes in any way before fitting them to my wishbones? They seem to go in without too much bother just wondered if I should be greasing them or anything?

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Viper

posted on 2/5/03 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
no lube needed

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dmottaway

posted on 3/5/03 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
it was my understanding that the bush was to be "press fit." that is, tight enough that, in the case of rubber bushes, the only flex in the a-arm came from the rubber. obviously poly doesn't flex like rubber, thats the whole point, so its OK for the poly to slide? and if so, wouldn't it be a good idea to lube it, if only to prevent rusting?

curious

dave

Viper

posted on 3/5/03 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
the inner sleeves should realy be stainless steel, there a few threads on here about this very subject.

dmottaway

posted on 3/5/03 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
let us take this a step farther.

rubber is used to isolate the body and contents from the harshness of the road.

poly is use to give the precision of rod ends without the expense.

could we not machine a bushing out of say, aluminum and have the desired precision but not the cost?

back to reality.

how much material should be between the inner sleeve (crush tube) and the outer tube of the a-arm?

if I use 1 inch tube with 1/16 wall, a 7/16th bolt, and a crush tube with 1/16 wall, that doesn't leave much room for the poly/rubber/whatever.

If I go for a larger tube on the a-arm, how much clearance should be left between the tube and the base of the bracket? Seems there shouldn't be any concern so long as there is no binding between the a-arm and the bracket. Is this correct?

my head hurts

dave

stephen_gusterson

posted on 3/5/03 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
rorty is the expert here....

where is he?

atb

steve

dmottaway

posted on 4/5/03 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
was looking at "Chassis Engineering" by Herb Adams this morning and he says that rubber bushings do not need any lubrication because there is no sliding, just flexing. Any other material will need lubrication because the device has evolved away from being a mere bushing to more of a bearing. And bearings need lubrication. This includes polyurethane, nylon, and, yes, steel!
If made to close enough tolerances steel-on-steel bushings (bearings) give the precise motion required of the best handling car. Just don't complain about the road noise transmitted to the car.

and then we get into spherical bearings....

hmmmmmm

dave

[Edited on 4/5/03 by dmottaway]

[Edited on 4/5/03 by dmottaway]

Rorty

posted on 24/6/03 at 06:25 AM Reply With Quote
I really didn't want to get involved in this thread, as it's been covered several times before. However, to answer ChrisW's question. The answer, as Viper correctly says, is "no lube needed".
The Poly bushes shouldn't rotate within the wishbone tube, and therefore don't need lubricating.
The inner bore of the Poly bush however, where the crush tube pivots, does definitely need to be lubricated with Moly grease.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.