Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tyre sizes.
paulf

posted on 11/5/03 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Tyre sizes.

I have started looking for tyres for my car and am undecided as to what width to fit. I have 13 inch wheels and originally was going to fit 185 70 13s but there is not much choice avaiable, however there seems to be more available in 175 70 13 as it is still a popular size. the car will be used mainly on the road and i intend to get a set of spare cheap tyres for any track days i may do . Is 175 wide enough for road use? or should i look for 185s.Any sugesstions for a not to dear but good soft tyre?.
Paul.
paul.

Fast Westie

posted on 12/5/03 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Yokohama A21rs available from George Polley

The car in front is a Westfield

stephen_gusterson

posted on 12/5/03 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
One thing to bear in mind for a road car is that a larger width tyre can make the car aquaplane in the wet.

This is because the bigger contact patch is more lightly loaded and the wheel starts to ski on the water.

A locost is quite a light car, so although wide tyres sound a good idea in the dry, its not always too clever in the wet.

atb

steve

ChrisW

posted on 12/5/03 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Try looking at XR2 tyres which I believe are 185x60x13. Probably a lot easier to come by than 70 profile.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 12/5/03 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
I had 185x60xr13's on my triumph toledo with dolly sprint alloys, handled a treat, but trashed the ball jopints, steering rack and column, damn.

what width are your rims?

on a race car you can go upto at least 225 on a 13" rim! (10" wide!)

Andrew.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
carnut

posted on 12/5/03 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
I think im going to go for either Avon ACB10's or CR500's. These offer loads of grip but might not last very long.
carnut

posted on 12/5/03 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
i forgot the sizes.

13" if i can do it. 205 rear 185 front

paulf

posted on 12/5/03 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking of 70 series tyres to give a bit higher gearing as i have a 3.89 diff , although i am using a 5 speed box so maybe 60s would be ok.I dont want to go to wide as i have found in the past that overwide tyres do not help wet grip and i think that with the suspension setup is more critical with wider tyres to take advantage of them due to camber changes etc.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
Try looking at XR2 tyres which I believe are 185x60x13. Probably a lot easier to come by than 70 profile.

Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.