Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Difference in type "n" and type "9" gearbox?
Matthew_1

posted on 16/5/03 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Difference in type "n" and type "9" gearbox?

Is there any actual difference between the ford type 9 and type n gearboxes?

Also, I've found an XR4x4 for sale very cheap, would there be any advantage in buying that over a "normal" sierra - I already have a zetec so the engine difference is irrelevant. Although the V6 might be up for sale if I do buy the donor!

geoff shep

posted on 16/5/03 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
What, for the gearbox? The 4x4 gearbox has a transfer box for the propshaft to the front wheels - you probably want a rwd box.

You can pick up type 9 5 spd boxes pretty cheaply.

4x4 type 9 box: Rescued attachment 4x4 box.jpg
Rescued attachment 4x4 box.jpg

stephen_gusterson

posted on 16/5/03 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
type N ine

ok?

Its nowt to do with 4x4 oe rwd

btw - how the heck do you 4wd aspirators get that big protrusion in the car without a large bump by your left leg?

atb

steve

[Edited on 16/5/03 by stephen_gusterson]

Matthew_1

posted on 17/5/03 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not really after the engine/gearbox as Ive already got that sorted, and have no intention of installing 4WD!

Given its £150 I'm more interested in all the stuff like discs/calipers (from rear), driveshafts, diff etc. I was wondering if any of these bits were a bit more "heavy duty" having come from a supposedly more powerful car? Lowish mileage so the bits should be serviceable/

Liam

posted on 17/5/03 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
btw - how the heck do you 4wd aspirators get that big protrusion in the car without a large bump by your left leg?

You dont - you live with the large bump under your knee, as well as the propshaft running along your leg

Liam Rescued attachment 24.JPG
Rescued attachment 24.JPG

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Liam

posted on 17/5/03 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Matthew...

Snap up that 4x4 while you still can! The rear axle will give you disk brakes and better than that a highly sought after limited slip diff. I'd be interested in some of the front axle gubbins too. Speedo cable would be awesome.

Only downside is the 4x4 has different front uprights - you'd want to get hold of a pair of 2WD uprights. Just get it for that LSD!

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 18/5/03 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
quote:

You dont - you live with the large bump under your knee, as well as the propshaft running along your leg

Liam

Looks like the mini tunnel is the biggest problem! Would be best to go on jouneys that dont need the clutch much...of have some kinda hand clutch...

Is that your car? If so, it looks a nice job.

atb

steve

Liam

posted on 18/5/03 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Looks like the mini tunnel is the biggest problem! Would be best to go on jouneys that dont need the clutch much...of have some kinda hand clutch...

Is that your car? If so, it looks a nice job.

Not my car unfortunately - that's the beautiful V8 4x4 Dax Rush that was my inspiration in it's early stages of construction. The big bulge is no problem at all really cos it's just about under your raised knee. I've had a little go in that car and you do have to twist your foot a little to operate the clutch. Nothing uncomfortable and you get used to it quickly. My footwell will have a little more room than that though - a Rush is narrower than a standard book locost in that area and the tunnel at that point is even wider than mine. I'm just glad I'm short with small feet.

Liam

[Edited on 18/5/03 by Liam]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.