Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sierra Mc Pheersons cut down....?
eddie

posted on 16/5/03 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
sierra Mc Pheersons cut down....?

I have a pair of sierra front uprights to convert to a front hub by cutting the strut down inplace of a cortina unit, with a plate and nut welded to the top with a ball jointscrewed into it

has anyone else done this,

how much sticking out of the hub carrier did they use,

any photos / drawings would be appreciated....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve faunch

posted on 17/5/03 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
mk will supply a boss made for the job. Castor camber etc fully adjustable as well
stephen_gusterson

posted on 17/5/03 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
i got two rusty cotina hubs, cut the top taper off, weleded it to a 5mm round plate, then welded that into the top of the strut.

but them im weird.

Knowing now of the adaptors you can buy from peeps like robin hoo /lolocost, id do that

atb

steve

eddie

posted on 17/5/03 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
cheers guys, but i'm looking at going by the locost route, and making it myself

the whole point is why pay for somthing i can make for free??? (kinda in keeping with the idea behind ron champions book)

so far at the begining of my build epic i have aquired for a few hours laboring the complete rear, and front suspension setup from a knackered sierra which i am currently refitting (new seals, bearings, brake components etc).

next will be a J reg sierra i have been offered for the princely sum of 50 quid for the other bits (engine/box & ancils, clocks, wheels, tyres, loom etc)

this could prove usefull to other builders owing to the number of available cortinas these days.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 18/5/03 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
i went the route of wanting to make all the stuff. before you do that consider.

1. will the item I make be as safe.

2. will I spedn hours of hassle making somethign I could buy for 20 quid, which will be forgotten about as soon as its fitted.

3. You arnt making a diff - you are using one from the car - is an adaptor really breaking any rules.

4. cutting up a strut might be dangerous - are they pressurised with oil or gas?

5. These cars take younks to build, and making up stuff like struts just adds a heck of a lot more yonks.

save 2 - 3 weeks hassle and spend 40 quid on adaptors!

Try to mentally lose the 'ron is a hero' concept. ron wrote a book that inspired, but is full of stupid silly unlikley ways (like free steel from offcut bins and transit van sides) that dont really work in reality.

atb

steve

[Edited on 18/5/03 by stephen_gusterson]

Cheffy

posted on 18/5/03 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
RE: Item 4 above

Hi Steve,

No the struts are not pressurised 'cos I've cut mine down. I've had to go this route 'cos my uprights are 4x4 and the clamp that takes the upright/adaptor is bigger diameter than a standard Sierra.

See http://mysite.freeserve.com/442/suspension.htm

Hope this helps some,

Cheers,

Martin

Farts are like Rock'n'Roll. You love your own but you hate everybody else's. Lemmy, Motorhead.

James

posted on 19/5/03 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cheffy

No the struts are not pressurised 'cos I've cut mine down.
<snip>

Really? Cos when I cut through the first of a pair of 4x4 rear ones I got showered with something oily and bad tasting!

Be careful!

HTH,

James

stephen_gusterson

posted on 19/5/03 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
now you know how pamela anderson feels

Alan B

posted on 19/5/03 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson

.......Try to mentally lose the 'ron is a hero' concept. ron wrote a book that inspired, but is full of stupid silly unlikley ways (like free steel from offcut bins and transit van sides) that dont really work in reality.....

Absolutely well said Steve!

What engineering/manufacturing company scraps useable lengths of square tubing?....Ok, you may get some short offcuts, or handy pieces of 3mm and 16g plate.

Ironically, the steel tubing is one of the cheaper items in the build...

Still, this thread is not about steel tube so I will digress no more, other than to say beware of taking the cost-cutting to extremes that become counter-productive..

stephen_gusterson

posted on 19/5/03 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
quote:

.......Try to mentally lose the 'ron is a hero' concept. ron wrote a book that inspired, but is full of stupid silly unlikley ways (like free steel from offcut bins and transit van sides) that dont really work in reality.....

Absolutely well said Steve!

What engineering/manufacturing company scraps useable lengths of square tubing?....Ok, you may get some short offcuts, or handy pieces of 3mm and 16g plate.

Ironically, the steel tubing is one of the cheaper items in the build...

Still, this thread is not about steel tube so I will digress no more, other than to say beware of taking the cost-cutting to extremes that become counter-productive..

I recon what Ron said when summat like

" Hi - im Ron Champion, teacher of motor engineering at Oundle school. I wonder if I could scrounge anything from you for a car project I am working on with the boys"

Mr engineering co guy thinks 'ok, this is for kidddies, so Ill help this guy out'

Our scenario is

Hi - im any old guy off the street, can I cadge summat for free'

engineering guy thinks ' scrounging git can french connection uk off '

Thats (fcuk) for alan who may not know UK fashion companies.

atb

steve

Alan B

posted on 19/5/03 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
.......Thats (fcuk) for alan who may not know UK fashion companies......

Indeed. Or any fashion companies anywhere....

Don't get me started on that one....

stephen_gusterson

posted on 19/5/03 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
thats not a gucchi jumper then?

or a carlos fandango?

Alan B

posted on 19/5/03 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
Well Ok then except for the Gucci jumper don't get me started....
Cheffy

posted on 20/5/03 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
Originally posted by Cheffy

No the struts are not pressurised 'cos I've cut mine down.
<snip>

Really? Cos when I cut through the first of a pair of 4x4 rear ones I got showered with something oily and bad tasting!

Be careful!

HTH,

James

I've only cut the front ones down at the moment, but no problems there.

Cheers,

Martin

Farts are like Rock'n'Roll. You love your own but you hate everybody else's. Lemmy, Motorhead.

kingr

posted on 21/5/03 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
I was told I could have some 3/4" ERW for free, but would all be in 25cm lengths! Also, uncle Ron using the "I'm from Oundle School" line is unlikely to get him anything for free - it's an extremely expensive public school.

Kingr

stephen_gusterson

posted on 21/5/03 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
yes I know - its about 20 mins from where I live.

Leave out the Oundle bit and its not a bad approach.

The ' i will give you a mention in my book' bit might also have been used...

Simon

posted on 21/5/03 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Back to topic !!! :-)

Eddie

"next will be a J reg sierra i have been offered for the princely sum of 50 quid for the other bits (engine/box & ancils, clocks, wheels, tyres, loom etc)"

You want to knock'em down on that price -something along the lines of I'll remove it for free - unlike the scrappy who'll charge!!

As for upright adaptors - buy them! Simple as that - so you'll go £50 over budget!!

ATB

Simon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.