Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel tanks - from GTS
dozracing

posted on 4/6/03 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel tanks - from GTS

I have spoken with my fabricator and we like the idea of doing petrol tanks.

What do you require, exactly to the book or something else?

Kind regards,

Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 4/6/03 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
My requirements are for a tank suitable for a 2.0 pinto injection, 15mm outlet 8 mm return and for the sender in the top, the twist to lock type. Possibly an internal swirl pot or a small sump to prevent injection starvation.
You up for it?

Mark

dozracing

posted on 5/6/03 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark,

Do you have a sender we can use for design purposes? All the other things can be incorporated.

Kind regards,

Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 5/6/03 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
I cut the sender hole out of the old tank, for template purposes later, so I shoved in the scanner!

I think the easiest way would be to just cut a 50mm hole and leave the cut outs to me (I could even cut the hole without any difficulty come to think of it!)

Come on, quote me happy

Mark Rescued attachment Sender.jpg
Rescued attachment Sender.jpg

chrisg

posted on 5/6/03 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Don't you want a proper plastic one?

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Mark Allanson

posted on 5/6/03 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at all the possibilities, Chris.

Steel, Ally, Plastic, they all have dis/advantages I just want all the quality/price options before i buy (or make). Perhaps PTM could U2U?

Mark

Viper

posted on 5/6/03 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
I am surprised at you Mark, i thought you would make your own....

Mark Allanson

posted on 6/6/03 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
I made my own scuttle, remember, its ok, but on hindsight I would had one of Martin's - I do want to actually drive this car sometime!!!
James

posted on 6/6/03 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
I made my own scuttle, remember, its ok, but on hindsight I would had one of Martin's - I do want to actually drive this car sometime!!!

Aah, a man who's started to feel the way I have for the last couple of months!

Cheers,

James

dozracing

posted on 6/6/03 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
We are working on the tanks being around £90 for the ally road tanks (6 gals).

The fabricator is just finishing off some Titanium brackets for the new McLaren MP4-18x gearbox project that i have designed and then he will be jumping on making the patterns for Locost tanks.

I'd be interested in talking to the PTM about supplying them also.

Kind regards,

Darren

kingr

posted on 6/6/03 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
£90!! Deneo does them for about half that, and PTM's are considerably cheaper!

Kingr

Findlay234

posted on 6/6/03 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Good call kingr!!!!!!
dozracing

posted on 6/6/03 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Wow, thats cheap, i based mine on Luegos prices and they are £99 + VAT for an ally 6 gal tank.

I guess we'll have to look at the job after we've made the patterns and see what material costs are, and length of time to fold and weld them.

Kind regards,

Darren

Viper

posted on 22/6/03 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Mark did you get a fuel tank?
just finished another.

http://forum.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/tank1.jpg

Mark Allanson

posted on 22/6/03 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
No, I am still finishing up the front wishbones, I will have to make one unless I can find a tank with the right spec and price, I want my chassis completely finished before I get it painted (all brackets welded on such as brake pipe and flexies, tank brackets, pedal box and the like). I am at the stage of wanting to buy stuff rather than loose more time making it which is putting back my time scale for completion. I was hoping to be finished by september but I think I was a bit optimistic!!!
Peteff

posted on 23/6/03 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
How long?

If you have the materials to make your tank it only takes a day, two at most. That's not too much out of a 4 month schedule is it? Have a go. You will always find you need another bracket for something as soon as you paint your chassis, this is an unwritten law of physics.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ijohnston99

posted on 23/6/03 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

this is an unwritten law of physics.

Think you'll find this is covered by sods law!

Ian

Ian Pearson

posted on 23/6/03 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Mark,

The spitfire tank really well, and is slightly less than 10 gals. I can send you some pics if you like.

Regards, Ian.

Mark Allanson

posted on 23/6/03 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
It would probably be as much trouble to convert to injection as making a new one unless you know different (I hate welding old fuel tanks, I shake and sweat alot!)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.