Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: front suspension parts interchange...?
wizrod

posted on 20/6/03 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
front suspension parts interchange...?

Hi,

I'm currently using Cortina front uprights/hubs, (with stock ford steel wheels) I have a set of Porsche alloys want to use on the car. Obviously I 'll need to change the PCD to fit the alloys (5/130mm).

Ideally, I'd just remove the studs from the Cortina hubs and re-drill them for the Porsche PCD, but that wouldn't leave enough material in the flange. Since the Cortina hubs are cast items I can't weld on extra metal to strengthen them.

As I see it this leaves me 2 options. I can either get some adapters made up, or use different hubs on the Cortina uprights. I'd prefer not to use adapters, so my question is this:

Are there any other hubs that will fit on Cortina uprights that either have a wide enough bolt flange to re-drill, or are not cast, so I can weld onto them?

If there isn't any thing that would work with the Cortina uprights, what about Sierra units?

TIA

[Edited on 20/6/03 by wizrod]

cheers

Paul

www.wizrod.com

Peteff

posted on 20/6/03 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Look at a P100 pickup

They are already 5 stud and the old ones were based on cortinas, or Granada fronts are 5 stud as well.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

wizrod

posted on 20/6/03 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Pete.

I'll look into the P100 idea. BTW, will Granada hubs fit Cortina uprights...? There is more chance of finding a Granada in my local breaker than a P100!

Thanks

cheers

Paul

www.wizrod.com

Stu16v

posted on 20/6/03 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
I think the Cortina fronted P100 and the Granada share the same uprights/hubs. They also have vented discs as standard, but if you want to revert to solid discs, IIRC the standard Cortina discs and calipers will bolt to uprights and hubs. Dunno if the Granada PCD is gonna be any closer to the Porsche ones though...

Dont just build it.....make it!

wizrod

posted on 23/6/03 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Stu16v, Thanks for the info. As long as the hubs have 5 bolts, regardless of PCD, its a lot easier to adapt to the 5 bolt Porsche pattern.

[Edited on 23/6/03 by wizrod]

cheers

Paul

www.wizrod.com

andyps

posted on 23/6/03 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
I may be totally wrong about this (not unknown!) but you may find that you can use Porsche hubs. I used to work in the bearing industry and seem to remember that the wheel bearings were common between many Porsches, VWs and Fords.

It will depend which Porsche wheels you are looking at, but the 4 stud 924 wheels will probably fit VW hubs and these may fit your stub axles.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

wizrod

posted on 23/6/03 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
andyps,

Thanks for you post, but 942 hubs/disks aren't going to help me. 4 bolt 924 hubs have the same PCD as the Cortina hubs I have at present! Having said that, if the later 5 bold 424 hubs fit, that would be a different matter entirely!! (Hmmm...cunning!)

Thanks again

cheers

Paul

www.wizrod.com

andyps

posted on 23/6/03 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
hi wizrod,

if I can find the catalogue I used to have of wheel bearing applications tonight I will let you know what the possibilities are.

Cheers

Andy

wizrod

posted on 23/6/03 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Andy,

Much appreciated...

cheers

Paul

www.wizrod.com

andyps

posted on 23/6/03 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Just checked the book, in terms of bearings the Porsche 924 is the same as a cortina, but the 944 is different - same bearings as the transit van 85 - 91! This is for the front only, the rears are very different as far as I can tell.

Not much help then, sorry about that.

Cheers

Andy

wizrod

posted on 24/6/03 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Andy!

If I can find a pair of late (ie 5 bolt) 942 disks/hubs, it should solve my problem (assuming the caliper fits the disk). The rears are not a problem as I have the Porsche wheels on there already.

cheers

Paul

www.wizrod.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.