Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Neater Front Brake Pipes
Mark Allanson

posted on 24/6/03 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Neater Front Brake Pipes

Assuming I can find suitable flexies, I hope to make up my front brake pipes like this (green for flexies and yellow for fixed copper)

Can anyone see any problems with this? I think it would look neater and lesten the fouling problems at SVA Rescued attachment AltFlexie.jpg
Rescued attachment AltFlexie.jpg

Metal Hippy

posted on 24/6/03 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
If you can find something to match the colours it'd look well classy.

Hippy (helpful as ever)

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

Viper

posted on 24/6/03 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
can't you do that with one long flexi ? it would be cheaper...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 24/6/03 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
At Exeter show I looked at quite a few, most were like lost lassoo's looking for John Wayne. Many showed signs of rubbing on bits of suspension.

With trade connections you can get the average short flexie for about £6, this would be £24 for the front end(copper brake pipe is 37p a kilometer). How much do you want to save?

I reckon it would only take a couple of hours extra to do, but be much neater and better from an SVA point of view.

Slightly (!) off topic, FWB are selling domed nut covers for about £12 per 100 - is this good?

Mark

paulf

posted on 24/6/03 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Would you not still have a problem with the S shaped bit at the caliper end .It would need to be long enough to allow the steering to turn and may foul the calliper. I agree the flexis on most cars I have seen appear rather untidy and I am not satisfied with mine either. Does anyone know if it is ok with the SVA inspector to cable tie the flexi to the wishbone?.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
At Exeter show I looked at quite a few, most were like lost lassoo's looking for John Wayne. Many showed signs of rubbing on bits of suspension.

With trade connections you can get the average short flexie for about £6, this would be £24 for the front end(copper brake pipe is 37p a kilometer). How much do you want to save?

I reckon it would only take a couple of hours extra to do, but be much neater and better from an SVA point of view.

Slightly (!) off topic, FWB are selling domed nut covers for about £12 per 100 - is this good?

Mark

MK9R

posted on 24/6/03 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Nice idea!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Viper

posted on 24/6/03 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson

Mark

what i ment was to run the flexi along the wishbone as you have the copper pipe and i asumed you were using braided hose so you would only but 2 not 4, as for the nut covers thats nearly twice what i paid from Tiffosi, £6.95 for 100...

Mark Allanson

posted on 24/6/03 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
I had intended using rubber hoses and had not really considered braided hoses, have you got a supplier address?

Comes bach to the question, are hoses allowed to be fastened to the wishbone for SVA?

I had better get hold of tiffosi, I think they are in Devon

givemethebighammer

posted on 24/6/03 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
www.earls.co.uk
...will make brake, fuel, clutch pipes to whatever spec and length you want.

Just ordered some braided flexies from them

[Edited on 24/6/03 by givemethebighammer]

stephen_gusterson

posted on 24/6/03 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
I thought I had read that the reason that cars dont use flexy EVERYWHERE is that you would get a spongy pedal due to compliance in the flexy.

I wonder if having long flexy will promote a spongy pedal.

I like your idea tho......

As a comparison, granada disk rears have TWO pipes - a very short one from caliper to a length of copper, then a further about 200mm long from the end of the swing arm to the body.

I wonder why ford didnt use one long flexy......
woulda been cheaper......

unless the spongy theory is right.??
atb

steve

[Edited on 24/6/03 by stephen_gusterson]

Viper

posted on 24/6/03 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
No spongy feeley with braided hoses

Alan B

posted on 26/6/03 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Mark I agree that is the way to go if doable. It is always better to have the least amount of flexible piping that will do the job. And looks better IMO.
ned

posted on 26/6/03 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
i've seen this done (long braided hoses). You weld a suitable size washer (thats been bent nearly 90degrees) onto the wishbone, two or three should do, this then provides a seating for the hose and you can cable tie round it.

This was on a race car so don't know about sva but its the way i want to do it if it'll pass sva.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

Spyderman

posted on 26/6/03 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
It looks as though it would be very tidy.

However you would need to experiment to make sure that the flexy did not foul when on full lock. Especially when the wheel is turning in to shorten the pipe length.
I think the solid to flexy joint should be nearer to the centre of the A-arm. Near to bottom Shock mount, just behind the ball joint, as opposed to either side of it. Looking at it from the side of the car along the axle line.

At least with one flexy you can position it so that it either flex's up or down and not into path of tyre.

Terry

[Edited on 26/6/03 by Spyderman]

Spyderman

Rorty

posted on 27/6/03 at 02:54 AM Reply With Quote
I buy stainless braided line on a drum (cheaper that way), and it has either a black or natural coloured PTFE tube at its core, depending on the make. This stuff is rated at over 3,600 PSI. It doesn't stretch or bulge at all. The main reason you see it used in short lengths, is purely a cost consideration, though I sometimes ponder the benefits of this, as the end fittings aren't cheap!
I run it from the master cylinders to the front wheels, and sometimes the whole way to the rear too.
It does need to be attached and held as securely as possible.
Sometimes on the front lines, I slip the braided line through some clear or coloured PVC tube before fitting the ends. A couple of short pieces of heat shrink tube can be slipped on too, and shrunk down over the end of the PVC and the end fitting. It looks very neat, and stops the SS braid getting gunged up with muck.
The way I attach it to my wishbones, is secure, and also has a certain amount of give.
I cut a short piece of 3/8" rubber hose, say about 20mm long. I thread a long 5mm wide cable tie through the rubber hose, around the brake line, back through the rubber hose, around the wishbone tube, and lock it up tight.
I can't remember, but you may be able to see this system in one of the pics on my web site.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.