Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: T5 gearbox bellhousings....
ned

posted on 11/7/03 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
T5 gearbox bellhousings....

I've just been pondering the gearbox options again for my vauxhall 2ltr.

Currently my best option seems to be a type 9, but it'll need a heavy duty quaife kit 190-275bhp (£900) to cope with the power.

I wondered whether the bellhousings for the vauxhall to type 9 would fit onto a T5? (T5 seem to go for £300ish, so would save a bit if it fits and should cope with the power easily)

The T5 bellhousing will be the same as the pinto at the engine end because the yb block originated from the late pinto block.

My question is will the bolt pattern at the gearbox end be the same or fit?

Anyone any experience or info on this combination (t5 gearbox with type 9 vauxhall bellhousing)

thanks,

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
timf

posted on 11/7/03 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
in a word no

the gear box mountings are completely different

ned

posted on 11/7/03 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
damn it!

thanks timf,

Ned.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
timf

posted on 11/7/03 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
although they are different the t5 bellhousing is longer so you might be able to have an adapter plate made between vx bell anf box, but the clutch disk dia on cossie is bugger then pinto and the hub centre / spline count is also different

but it's not impossible

ned

posted on 11/7/03 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
wouldn't happen to know the spline size/count woud you by any chance?

i know a type 9 is 1" x23.

at least i could then investigate if i could get a clutch plate to fit!

if the t5 bellhousing is that much longer than i can't think it'd be that difficult to make (or get made up) an adapter to sit at the gearbox end, just need to measure it accurately so the shaft is in the right place!

There just so happens to be a t5 going on another forum, they're asking £400 for it....

Ned.

ned

posted on 11/7/03 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
thinking about it some more, it'd get tricky, because you'd need to sort out the clutch fork and release bearing as well. thats after you've sorted the clutch plates to fit and bought an billet to make the adapter from, and measured and had it machined...

Perhaps the best plan will be to try and find a good type9 clubman box in the classifieds....

Ned.

timf

posted on 11/7/03 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
also £400 is a bit steep
look in motoring news normally £200 - 250 for T5.

have you tried tran-x for a price on gear kits

just as good as quafe but less expensive

see http://www.tran-x.com/index2.html for details

Viper

posted on 12/7/03 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
The spline count on a T5 is 23 with an O/D of 1"

Ned
is your pinto/vx bellhousing alloy? tthey can be modded to fit a T5 (i done it with an RS2000 before i got a cossie one for £10 off e bay)
of course there are companys out there that will do you a bellhousing for this fitment.

ned

posted on 15/7/03 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
After further research and a few more phone calls I have found that an adapter exists for the t5 to a rover v8 box, this uses a rover auto box bellhousing which is a shorter bellhousing then uses an adapter plate by magnum engineering to fit the bellhousing to the gearbox at the gearbox end.

The t5 box uses the same 1" x23 splines that the type 9 and other ford boxes do, so clutch plates and release bearing etc aren't a problem. I'll have to buy an adapter bellhousing for a type 9 box from SBD / QED / Yukspeed then make up an adapter for the gearbox end of the bellhousing.

Bringing me on to my next question....
Before I spend out on a t5 can someone measure/does anybody know the length of the t5 bellhousing? I'd like to know so I can find out how much of an adapter plate I'd need to make up (I know the size of the vx->type9 b/housing courtesy of sbd's catalogue!)

Timf, you said the bellhousing is longer - how long please!!

Thanks all,

Ned.

Bob C

posted on 15/7/03 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
T5 bellhousing

T5 box is now made by tremec. The bolts on the gearbox end are all the same. Most you find in UK have come from a sierra cossie - ID by no. on s/s tag, the data can be found on the web. To mate to rover v8 best bet is to get a TVR bellhousing & clutch gubbins. I did the magnum engineering thing for my mx5 but they don't have the best reputation for quality. But you want to mate to a vauxhall so I can't help much, you'll have to suck it and see. If you want any measurements off a cossie T5 I have a spare and can give you any dims you want - best email me direct (possibly you already have on my home email....?). The T5 is a real brick outhouse of a box & feels good enough with a short gearstick.
Viper

posted on 15/7/03 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Ned.
Cossie bellhousing (for T5) is 180mm from mating surface to mating surface.

ned

posted on 16/7/03 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
thanks viper.

that means with a standard (non v6) vauxhall -> type9 bellhousing @ 150mm I'll have 30mm to play with....

the search continues.

thanks all,

Ned.

ps just been offered one in scarborough for £375, bit far + pricey me thinks!

[Edited on 16/7/03 by ned]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.