Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Apologies..... I need confirmation, or shot down in flames!
Jumpy Guy

posted on 31/7/03 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Apologies..... I need confirmation, or shot down in flames!

I have Sierra IRS rear end, which I think is ET38, and mark3/4 Cortina front uprights, also 38?? book built chassis.....
So, after much searching of previous discussions, would I be right in saying I could buy-
4 of (cos Sierra and Cortina are same?) 6.5 * 15", offset ET 38, running 195/55/15 tyres ??
Phew....
Anyone who can comment - much appreciated!

andyd

posted on 31/7/03 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Cortina offset wheels *should* be ET19 however you can fit ET38 but you may run the risk of knackering the bearings prematurely. I say may because I don't know for sure. There are people that use ET38 on Cortina uprights without issue so unless you are going to drive it really hard or drive it 1000's of miles without maintenance then I'd not worry too much.

Andy

Jumpy Guy

posted on 31/7/03 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
OK, would I be better running 4 * ET19 then?

I know that I could get 2* 19 and 2* 38, but I cant in the wheels I want...
I've got drums at the back, but want a disk conversion soon, does that have any impact?

andyd

posted on 31/7/03 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Can you not get some custom fit wheels? More £££ I know but at least you'd get wheels you like (potentially) and the "correct" fitment. Have you tried looking at Compomotive? I got 2 * 7" x 15" and 2 * 6" x 15" for £466 all in. Not bad for custom made wheels. They're not the lightest alloys you can get but they are nowhere near as heavy as some of the boy racer style that say Halfords sell. Because they are custom you could then get ET19 for the front pair and ET38 for the rear. The problem that I have at the moment is that with the width of a Cortina rear axle plus the ET19 offset wheels at 7" wide even the wider rear arches are not wide enough!

The only problem with discs is that they generally require larger wheels to fit over them. As you want 15" I'd say that you wouldn't have that problem.

[Edited on 31/7/2003 by andyd]

Andy

ChrisW

posted on 31/7/03 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
I'd just put the same wheels on all around and then make the bodywork fit. The difference in offset will make very little difference so long as the rims clear the suspension. Any Ford fitment (ET35) wheels should fit.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.