Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How do i identify a sierra slipper diff?
ed_crouch

posted on 5/11/03 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
How do i identify a sierra slipper diff?

As above, really. I want to go for IRS if possible, and hence want to go also for a slipper diff. did ford make a slipper diff that would work with RWD as opposed to 4WD? Also, how do i tell that ive got one when down the scrappy's. Can i just try and tweak the output flanges (they should be BLUMMIN stiff by hand), or do i need to look at casting munbers??

Cheers

Ed.
P.S. i know im asking a lot of questions!!

timf

posted on 5/11/03 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
get the sierra 4x4 rear diff
to check turn input shaft both outputs should turn in the same direction

Hellfire

posted on 5/11/03 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
better to ask than to go boldly on in the wrong direction... I sure we've all done it!

mackie

posted on 5/11/03 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah as timf said, sierra XR4x4, Ghia 4x4 and possibly XR4i (?) have LSDs. Could go cossie but veeeery expensive.
I'm not sure if the tag on the diff will say it's an LSD or whether it's just got the ratio on it, ours is rusted to hell so I don't know.

James

posted on 5/11/03 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of Granada Scorpios had them aswell. Just make sure you measure the top mount that it's 7" as some IIRC had 7.5" mount and this won't fit your Indy without mods.

Thinking about it tho- the Granada has a 1" wider track than the Sierra so the Granada driveshafts won't be any use to you. But it's an option if you're desperate for parts I guess.

Make sure you tell MK you have rear discs as opposed to drums when you place your order as the uprights are different.

HTH,

James

ChrisW

posted on 5/11/03 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
I posted a list of Ford part no.s a few weeks back. 7.5" fitted to Granadas and Scorpios but not necessarily LSD even on the v6. The wide ones will fit Luego chassis I think (definatly the Viento)

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
garage19

posted on 6/11/03 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
If you turn one of the drive shaft flanges on a slipper the other driveshaft flange will turn the same way. If it turns the opposite way it is a normal open diff.

Pretty sure all the Xr4x4s have a 3.62:1 ratio dif.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.