Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tac-tac-tac noise from my right front wheel
Alez

posted on 19/11/03 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Tac-tac-tac noise from my right front wheel

Hi chaps,

I can't give many details but I thought I'd post anyway in case it sounds familiar to you.

My Locost is developing a kind of tac-tac-tac which is turning increasingly loud I think. It's coming from my right front wheel and the frequency of it goes in proportion to the speed of the car. A close inspection (without any dismantling) has given no results, everyting seems in place including wing. If you manually push or pull the car, you can notice no significant friction, it seems to go smooth. Still, I get this noise no matter I'm using the brakes or not.

If it sounds familiar to you, please give me some clue, I don't know where to start from really

Thanks guys!

Alex

mackie

posted on 19/11/03 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Stone stuck in tyre?
chrisg

posted on 19/11/03 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
I'd have a look in the caliper for that stone, or maybe check the wheel bearing.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Metal Hippy

posted on 19/11/03 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with Chris...

Wheel bearings have a habit of funny things when they're worn...

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

Hellfire

posted on 19/11/03 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Ditto...

I used to get the same thing on my brother's bike when I was little...

I discovered he had put a lollipop stick to "tac-tac-tac" on the spokes...

Seriously though - I also seem to think it's a collapsed ball bearing in the bearing race...

stephen_gusterson

posted on 19/11/03 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
strange really, that car had one careful little old lady owner before you that rarely drove it above 30......

atb

steve

locoboy

posted on 20/11/03 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Alez,

Jack up the offending corner of the car and spin the wheel you suspect to be noisy..........any noise?

Next hold the tyre top and bottom and try to wabble it pushing at the top and pulling at the bottom and vice versa, is there any movement or noise, if so suspect a worn wheel bearing.

pretty cheap to replace if standard cortina items, very easy too replace too you only need one socket and a pair of pliers and a screwdriver!

ATB
Locoboy

mackie

posted on 20/11/03 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, I'm reconditing the front hubs at the moment. Replacement bearing set cost £9.99 from local auto shop. That includes grease, inner seal, split pin, bearings and cups. Not bad really (Quickco said ~£15 + vat!).
I had to get a replacement set because the outer one has a badly pitted roller, I have no idea how though, all the others are fine and the cups are perfect. Very odd.

Alez

posted on 20/11/03 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Hi!

It's interesting, I haven't had any problems before with the lolipops I've been using so far to improve tire grip... Seriously now, I guess it can be a bearing going funny, I once had a problem with one due to a crash and the noise was a loud continuous humm / buzz though. I will thorughly inspect the tire for stones as well, who knows if it is just some little stone (from the Great Wall of China or something, with that noise). Oh yeah, I know the little old lady owner you're talking about, I'll post a nice pic I've got later, it's that old lady who was selling because she is going for a MK GT1 now, right??? It's good advice to try to check the wheel off-ground, I'll do that as well. Oh, and thanks for the details about tools and pieces.

Many thanks for the useful input, it's much appreciated! BTW, I seem to be developing an addicton, seriously, I need to take the car out for some fun so often now, I mean I have always been quite passionate driving cars, motorbikes, bicycles but this is just addictive!! I'm already absolutely comfortable with the Blade engine screaming and I'm starting to enjoy some proper cornering as well!

Cheers,

Alex

theconrodkid

posted on 20/11/03 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
no excuse for not being at box hill next month then

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

locoboy

posted on 20/11/03 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Alez,

Sounds like you are feeling quite at home in the beast now, have you scared yourself yet?

ATB
Locoboy

Alez

posted on 20/11/03 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Hi!

Is that anywhere near the Surrey area? "My" meeting should be the Newlands Corner one really..

Oh yes, I've been scaring myself continuously since I got it, absolutely, as part of the essential self training! My conclusion is that a "superlight", real wheel drive, live axle, front engine is inherently a f** madness to drive "properly", I mean trying to get as much performance as possible from it. It's a lovely challenge!

Cheers,

Alex

theconrodkid

posted on 20/11/03 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
if you go to newlands you could find youirself all alone,we will all be at box hill,it has an inside part for those who dont want to stand in the cold and rain

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

James

posted on 20/11/03 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alez
Hi!

Is that anywhere near the Surrey area? "My" meeting should be the Newlands Corner one really..

Cheers,

Alex

Alex,

Box Hill is only 25mins** from Guildford- it's where we meet in the winter months.
It's about a mile outside of Dorking.

Good food and nice people (before we get there anyway! ).

See:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=8492

for details.

If you think you might have trouble finding it then I don't mind navigating you there! You know, as a special favour...

Cheers,

James

** Probably less in The GrannyBlade

Alez

posted on 20/11/03 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Oops! What kind of meeting would that be if I'm there on my own and under the rain!! Eh!! Thanks for the link to the relevant thread, I'll see you there if the weather is not too bad.

Cheers,

Alex

Alez

posted on 20/11/03 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
This is the old lady you were talking about, right?? Rescued attachment jon_alex.jpg
Rescued attachment jon_alex.jpg

stephen_gusterson

posted on 20/11/03 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
I was on my way to the south coast to see a supplier last week and stopped at a place at box hill.

It had a couple big car parks, a burger place with a funny name and some toilets in a block to the back right of it.

Is that where you meet?

(not the toilets, obviously )

atb

steve

ps - tall for an old lady - must have been the moment of handover....?

[Edited on 20/11/03 by stephen_gusterson]

Jon Ison

posted on 20/11/03 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Alex, 99.9% sure it will be a shim out back of brake pads, if it dont stop when your braking then u aint going fast enough, you need to brake harder, there fancy willwoods and they do retract slightley when not braking to reduce any possible friction, every bit counts, bet if you go outside to car now you can get a little movement on the pads, jasper as same set up, should be able to point u in right direction if you meet down at newlands.

Nice pic, looks like a warm day, we know it was far from it ???

Alez

posted on 21/11/03 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks a lot Jon, I will investigate in that direction! How's the GT1 going? Any significant progress?

Cheers,

Alex

James

posted on 21/11/03 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson

It had a couple big car parks, a burger place with a funny name and some toilets in a block to the back right of it.

Is that where you meet?

Sounds like it. Ryka's Cafe is the name I think!

Pikey's might be a little more appropriate!

You should see the place in the summer- whole of both car parks is stuffed with bikes.... and the way they race/wheelie them up and down the road outside.... soon to be BECs

One day I'll park a transit on the corner with the back open and a ramp. The donors will just come sliding in to be collected.
I'll let the ambulances do the same for the drivers!

Cheers,

James

Metal Hippy

posted on 21/11/03 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
Alex, 99.9% sure it will be a shim out back of brake pads

Come off it Jon, what the hell would you know about that car?

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

Jon Ison

posted on 21/11/03 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
hippy, bog orf
alex, its looking good, need idea's on colour scheme though, any thoughts ?

Alez

posted on 21/11/03 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
What you mean colour scheme?? Are some colours actually FASTER than others or what!!

I have to say I'm very pleased with the colours you chose for the Isonblade, it looks very nice. For the GT1 maybe something really agressive, like very shiny and bright yellow, black, red or orange, I don't know, may look presumptuous or showy in a different car but not in a GT1.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 21/11/03 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Yep. that was the place. I could imagine all the sevens lined up there.

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson

Is that where you meet?

Sounds like it. Ryka's Cafe is the name I think!

Pikey's might be a little more appropriate!

You should see the place in the summer- whole of both car parks is stuffed with bikes.... and the way they race/wheelie them up and down the road outside.... soon to be BECs

One day I'll park a transit on the corner with the back open and a ramp. The donors will just come sliding in to be collected.
I'll let the ambulances do the same for the drivers!

Cheers,

James

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.