Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rose joints
phil

posted on 7/7/02 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
rose joints

Hi all,
has anyone used rose joints for the rear trailing arms and panard rod ?if so what size did you use and what size pipe, was it threaded to suit the rose joint or did it have inserts welded into a larger sized pipe with the right thread?
cheers phil....

Fatboy Dave

posted on 7/7/02 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Phil,

I've used 1/2"x1/2" Rose (proper Rose) joints on my cars in the past. My local steel place kindly cut my tube (think it was 4mm wall) and tapped it to take the joints, so I'm not really sure what thread it is (it's raining outside....)

Dave

Stop the planet, I want to get off

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 7/7/02 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
I have used rose joints on all my susp inc wishbones.

cos if the crappy load ratings in some duty cycles, like sideways and shock, i used 16mm holed ones.

These have a std 16mm metric thread shank too. I think from memory the hole size is always same as thread size, which is std metric. So a 12mm joint is likely to have a 12mm metric thread.

atb

steve

also, consider prolonging the life by using sealing washers that cover the ball.

i got mine from a compnay called rota precision - try a web search.

atb

steve

Alan B

posted on 7/7/02 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Steve,

I just searched.
http://www.rotaprecision.com/
Look's a good site, cheers

I think you are right about rod ends (Rose/Hiem/whatever) the hole size is the same as the shank.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phil

posted on 7/7/02 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the feedback lads,
do you all think that a 12mm spherical(rose) bearing would be up to the strains of the rear trailing arms, or would i need to go bigger???
many thanks PHIL.....

Fatboy Dave

posted on 7/7/02 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
1/2"x1/2" is more than upto it. If it's good enough for my brothers Cossie V6 powered F27......

Dave

Stop the planet, I want to get off

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Jon Ison

posted on 7/7/02 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
10mm rose joint'ed rear end here, 1700 miles, (a fair few with the rear hangin out) mo prob's at all, including hard track day use.
Liam

posted on 7/7/02 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
There are 1/2" rose joints, and there are 1/2" rose joints. Go for the best quality you can afford and keep em covered with boots.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locodude

posted on 7/7/02 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Jon
I hope they were 10mm 'Yorkshire Rose' Joints!
Chris PTM (eee baahh gum. Flat caps pigeons and whippets.)

stephen_gusterson

posted on 7/7/02 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Steve,

I just searched.
http://www.rotaprecision.com/
Look's a good site, cheers

I think you are right about rod ends (Rose/Hiem/whatever) the hole size is the same as the shank.

Its been over a year since i bought mine, but then im working ahead ! So I dont remeber how bad or not the site was!

The stuff they do I think is Italian. They have two kinds of joint covers. The best, but crap looking, are basically 'rose joint condoms' for want of a better description. Completely covers the joint.

The kind I bought are quite un-noticable, essentially a washer with a rubber skirt (hey, all this sexual imagery!) around the edge. You clamp the washer to the side of the ball and it seals with a lip around the outside (yet more imagery). Keeps the water and crap out but probably not as good as the full body condom.

going for a cold shower.

atb

steve

Alan B

posted on 7/7/02 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The kind I bought are quite un-noticable, essentially a washer with a rubber skirt (hey, all this sexual imagery!) around the edge. You clamp the washer to the side of the ball and it seals with a lip around the outside (yet more imagery). Keeps the water and crap out but probably not as good as the full body condom.

Yes, I've seen that type before, they're made here in the US (a bit pricey IMO, but cheaper than new joints I guess) They were brought to my attention by....yes you guessed it..Ken

Yes, I too spend my life alternating between here and TOLs

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.