Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MAC PC MAC PC?
vanepico

posted on 29/6/12 at 01:02 AM Reply With Quote
Just hope that the 2 or 3 pre-set mac specs fit you in some way. The only reason they are reliable is because the people who make the software, also make the hardware.

It seems the only people who can justify the high price are people who use it for graphic design in professional businesses. But paying that much for a home computer that may run a web browser or a word processor. How about an Imac? We have one in our loft

Oh and every device sold in the EU has to by law have a 1 year warranty.

ReMan

posted on 30/6/12 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for thereplys guys

Sorry I've not followed up sooner, was a bit busy with this......
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=171885

It was tricky and I ws really trying to avoid this getting to a MAC vs PC / BEC vs CEC debate.

Moreso that I am quite sold on the idea of a MAC, for a change, but just cautious that beyond the things it does, without any fuss, there are things that I might do, that it does'nt, not even a little bit !

However, the re-assurance that Bootcamp would take thse worries away, and I have XP say as a back up is quite something so I think I'm going to tkae the plunge.

So looking for a 27"
I have the option of my daughter putchasing and getting Education discount of 8?%, els buy from Joh=hn Lewis for a 2 year guatrantee.

Any other bargain buys new?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

vanepico

posted on 30/6/12 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
My brother had a few problems playing minecraft on a mac if that will be a problem?
JC

posted on 30/6/12 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
As someone posted earlier, my vote is the refurbished store! I have bought 2 iPads, a MacBook and an airport express that way. They are as new condition with the same or better warranty, and a decent saving as well! Either that, or find a friend in the US!

In case you don't know, the refurbished store,is accessed by a small link at the bottom left of the main apple store page!

Good luck with the Mac, you'll love it!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 1/7/12 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JC
As someone posted earlier, my vote is the refurbished store! I have bought 2 iPads, a MacBook and an airport express that way. They are as new condition with the same or better warranty, and a decent saving as well! Either that, or find a friend in the US!

In case you don't know, the refurbished store,is accessed by a small link at the bottom left of the main apple store page!

Good luck with the Mac, you'll love it!

Have looked there (last week too)and there's nothing in 27"

I suspect, that as your advice it's a popular option

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

kjouk

posted on 1/7/12 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
I swapped from using bootcamp to vmware, much better experience for when you need Windows for just basic tasks but you need to plan for the extra memory for this at purchase or as an upgrade.
ReMan

posted on 1/7/12 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
is there aminimum ram that vm ware needs then or is it that windows really needs better than 4g?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

FuryRebuild

posted on 1/7/12 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
vmware provides a shim if you like, allowing a lot of the windows overhead to be passed through to the mac. As such, a lot of effort necessarily to run a machine is already being done by the mac.

I run a windows XP (cad software), CENTOS (software development) and a windows 7 machine (self flagellation) and they don't consume many resources - right now the XP machine is consuming 8G of disk and VMWare under 3G of ram. I have the 27" apple monitor that has a bajillion pixels. It has a virtual display driver so the XP machine also sees far more pixels than it ever could natively - great for CAD.

The machine runs well because I have allocated 2.5G of ram to the cad software - if I wanted to, I could ramp it right down. The performance may suffer, but the point is you can do this with VMWare. My unix box has a very small memory footprint because i use ssh -X to open windows on it, if you like the windows are hosted by the mac, not the unix box, again keeping the overhead down.

go on, get one. you won't need another machine. I also believe you will gain the ability to talk to animals and will live to well over 150.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

kjouk

posted on 1/7/12 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
It depends a bit on how much stuff you like to keep open. I found having 3GB to be very marginal in allowing me to swap between Mac/Windows apps without slowdown. It was fine if you suspended Windows before swapping back to mac apps but that is not exactly convenient or quick. I ended up upgrading to 10GB to solve this and allow me to also run Linux.

I would say just get 8GB but Apple will no doubt burn you bad for this, think I would be looking at what the price is of 4GB and then keeping budget for a 4GB to 8GB aftermarket upgrade.

FuryRebuild

posted on 1/7/12 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Iirc, ram on the mbp is soldered on at birth, and there's no option to fiddle. Best to be sure there's an after market route for the iMac. When I got my mbp I went for 8. With 8g, flipping between vms is instantaneous and painless. I didn't reuse there was a 4g world out there

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

hughpinder

posted on 1/7/12 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
The ram on a mac is not soldered on at birth (at least not on any desktop or laptop in the last 10 years).You can buy crucial or kingston ram that is the same as apple use.
To upgrade the ram on a 27 inch imac follow this guide
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-iMac-Intel-27-Inch-EMC-2429-RAM/7570/1
Although I would have thought you could undo 3 screws without it!

A 16GB kit for a quad core imac direct from crucial is 122.39, but it's usually 10% or so cheaper if you buy from PCworld.
If you order from www.crucial.com and follow the select manufacturer etc, don't forget to switch top UK first!
ETA
I usually find its best to look on both kingston and crucial and take the cheapest on the day. If you want to save more you can get the 'generic' modules from both manufacturers with the same spec. The only difference is apple insists on additional testing for the modules it accepts.
Regards
Hugh

[Edited on 1/7/12 by hughpinder]

ReMan

posted on 1/7/12 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Well you lot better be right!
newmacdonaldhadafarm
newmacdonaldhadafarm

I know, should have bought a new hall carpet instead, but hey!

I may be gone some time................................................

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

yellowcab

posted on 1/7/12 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
that box doesn't look 27inches to me... is it?

FuryRebuild

posted on 1/7/12 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
ReMan - congratulations, welcome to the dark side.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

ReMan

posted on 1/7/12 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab
that box doesn't look 27inches to me... is it?

I'm sure you could take a picture that made it look like 40"
But yes fuull 27

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.