Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Correct bracket positions
JohnFol

posted on 3/8/02 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Correct bracket positions

Ok, I have cortina bottom joints and transit top joints. The hub is from a cortina, so all standard stuff.
I have an upper and lower wishbone made as per the book. I am now fixing them to the chassis.
The bottom has gone on fine. To get the correct distance between top and bottom I have attached the hub. If I now place the top wishbones parallel to the bottom, the mounting brackets are no where near what the book says. They are about 5cm out. Don't mind ths as the book isn't exactly accurate, however to get them parallel I'd have to go above the top of the chassis. This can't be right.

So, should the the top be parallel to the bottom?

Anyone else got this configuration?

merlin

posted on 3/8/02 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
On most of the cars I have seen the bottoms are parallel to the ground and the tops point up and outwards. This certainly is the case with mine and the geometry is fine.

shit happens! (but why always to me!!)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
interestedparty

posted on 3/8/02 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Merlin's car is correct for a double wishbone layout. The idea is that there is more favourable camber change that way than if the 'bones were parallel.

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

JohnFol

posted on 3/8/02 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies.
1 last question on the subject,
The top wishbones are not symetrical. Shoudl the longer arm be at the front or back?

paulf

posted on 4/8/02 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
The longer arm goes to the front to give the castor angle, however you may find that when the castor is correct that the brackets are only half on the upright tubes. There is an error in the top wishbone dimensions if made to the book, I remade mine with the ofset an extra 10mm to get 5 degrees castor, there has been a few discussions on the subject on the list if you look back on earlier messages.
Paul.
quote:
Thanks for the replies.
1 last question on the subject,
The top wishbones are not symetrical. Shoudl the longer arm be at the front or back?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.