Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hydraulic hnadbrake
200mph

posted on 8/3/04 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hydraulic hnadbrake

As far as I'm aware hydralic handbrakes are not legal for road use. Anyone know any different?

I would like a hydraulic handbrake on my car, so was wondering whether two systemds for a handbrake would be possible?

If I had a rear disk set-up, with one set of callipers for the standard cable-operated handbrake, this would satisfy the requirements for SVA etc.

Then a second pair of callipers used for the hydraulic system.

just a thought, or would I be better off converting the standard handbrake to hydaulic after the SVA is out of the way?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Cheers
Mark

ned

posted on 8/3/04 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
to ease complication i would suggest changing from mechanical to hydraulic handbrae after sva. do bear in mind/check that i think you need a mechanical handbrtake for mot, though might be wrong on that.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
200mph

posted on 8/3/04 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
yeah, that was my understanding, so if I had both on from the start then this would avoid having to change it every year.

Mark

James

posted on 8/3/04 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Just out of interest- what is the benefit of a hydraulic handbrake?

Especially if you've fitted a cable one already?

Cheers,

James

DaveFJ

posted on 8/3/04 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
a mechanical handbrake is required for SVA/MOT - but this is for a very good reason, do you really want to be without a mechanical handbrake - do you trust your hydraulics that much - do you trust that the pressure wont 'leak' letting your car roll off down the hill ?

Or is this just because you want to do handbrake turns ? - if so a mechanical brake is more than enough for a car as light as a locost......

[Edited on 8/3/04 by protofj]

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Dusty

posted on 8/3/04 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
I thought the snag with hydraulic handbrakes is getting the fluid hot when driving and then having it cool and contract when parked and rolling off down a slope.
200mph

posted on 8/3/04 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
It will be for a little bit more than car-park handbrake turns.

Also, the issue of the car rolling away would be preventable by leaving it in gear.

I was of the understanding that hydraulic handbrakes didnt lock in the same way a conventional one does, so you couldnt be applying the brake without pulling the lever.

Mark

I love speed :-P

posted on 8/3/04 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
just wondering what do wrc ppl use cus they use the handbrake all the time?

phil

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
200mph

posted on 8/3/04 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
WRC have hydraulic handbrakes.

Mark

posted on 8/3/04 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
but they r road legal????

Don't Steal

200mph

posted on 8/3/04 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
They will not pass an SVA or MOT test. I think a certain leniancy is applied to the WRC cars on public roads (but no the drivers apparently) regarding cartain pieces of equipment. I belive a hydraulic handbrake is one of those.

However, I sincerely doubt anyone will extend the same degree of leniancy to me.

Mark

[Edited on 8/3/04 by 9904169]

posted on 8/3/04 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
so if they arnt road legal, how come they have got number plates, and how come they got speeding fines?

Don't Steal

200mph

posted on 8/3/04 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
I should have made the above a reply not an edit, but it still stands.

posted on 8/3/04 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
red tape ay?

Don't Steal

Tigers

posted on 9/3/04 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
In our cantry, we have special rules for modified cars (rally cars). They don't have to pass emission tests, etc. But thay still have to go through as you say MOT tests. I belive that something like this is common everywhere.
Tigers

posted on 9/3/04 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
... but you realy have to participate in rally events to get this "modified rally car" status.
200mph

posted on 9/3/04 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
so...... back to my original question...

can anyone advise me on the feasibility of two braking systems on the rear?

thanks

Mark

R1-Locost

posted on 21/5/04 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

There is a build site (somewhere) where this has been done. Big hydraulic caliper for the main of the braking then a dinky little caliper for the cable handbrake.

I think there's a fly off hydraulic hand brake lever with a small cable operated lever on the side of it in the raldes catalogue.

Mark
(First post... Hello everyone )

James

posted on 21/5/04 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark,

Welcome to the Madhouse!

James

leto

posted on 21/5/04 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
We have just started to investigate this as it became clear that hydraulic handbrakes can be street legal (in Sweden) The handbrake can be made to work on the same pipe and cylinders as the foot brake by some sort of valve. Exactly how is still a mystery to us but we are working to solve it.

Not much help.

Cheers

“I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round”. (J. Cash)

stephen_gusterson

posted on 21/5/04 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
sva specifically states a mechanical system is needed.

The Jag Xj-S - and most likely the XJ6 of same time - used inboard rear main disks. There was also a smaller mechanical inboard disk with its own pads, operated by a cable to handbrake that formed a handbrake system.

atb

steve

NS Dev

posted on 21/5/04 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Right, lets clear this one up!! Rally cars technically do have to have mechanical handbrakes to be legal! What they do is use a very lenient MOT tester and don't have to get through SVA!!!

Yes you can use two separate calipers, mechanical for "MOT handbrake" and hydraulic for other" many cars do in competition, and several kit's do (like Ultima)

You can always do what we have done on some rally cars in the past and drill the pad backing plates and put a cable through them to the "hydraulic" handbrake in the car. That way the cable goes tight and the brakes work!! The fact that the cable isn't doing the braking doesn't seem to factor in!!

Having said all of that, you only need a mechanical handbrake on a locost anyway, as several people have said, it is so light the footbrake will usually bring the back round nicely if you want it to!

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 21/5/04 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Not that it really applies here but hydraulic handbrakes are legal in the UK on pre 1968 cars.

Bear in mind that most world rally cars are only in this country on the road for a few days during the Rally GB, the rest of the time around the world they do not have to worry! However the GB registered ones still have to pass a UK MOT and strictly speaking I think most would fail!

JB

andylancaster3000

posted on 21/5/04 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Rally rules

If rally cars must be road legal (to drive between stages) that means that some of thier super soft, practically slick, tarmac tyres must be road legal. Maybe a good locost tyres!!!
NS Dev

posted on 23/5/04 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, the tyres are road legal, but they are suited to cars weighing a lot more than a locost in the main, and even rally "slicks" carry a lot more reinforecement in the sidewalls than you would want on a locost, so making th tyres rather heavy.

Lastly, they are definitely not "locost", they are "hicost"!!!!!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.