Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra diff Rebuild Tools
Litemoth

posted on 6/7/09 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra diff Rebuild Tools

Does anyone know the dimensions of either of the features shown between the red arrows below?

They're the Ford tools for setting-up the crown wheel and pinion. I can remake the tools if someone can spill the beans on the dimensions??

Seems that info on diff servicing is held in the realms of a secret society....Maybe I'll have to become a Mason or something?

Tool 1
Tool 1

Tool 2
Tool 2

stevegough

posted on 7/7/09 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
judging purely by the number of replies you have had, I think you are right.

There has been a a couple of questions about splitting / refurbing diffs - the answers have been pretty unanimous - 'Don't do it' !!

Apologies for the negativity, BTW. Steve.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

Litemoth

posted on 7/7/09 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
If i suss how do it, I'll blow it open and publish a guide. It ain't rocket surgery and people have been setting up diffs for donkey's years ....

I guess it's a case of people staying quiet and looking after their business...fair enough i suppose.

I'm off to suck up to a Ford dealership

[Edited on 7/7/09 by Litemoth]

mad-butcher

posted on 8/7/09 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
if I read pic 15-019 right I don't think the dimension really matters. it looks as if both ends are tapered to sit in the bearings and the threaded part just pushes the bearings into place. therefore the dia between the to arrows doesn't matter as it's only to check bearing runout.
just why god only knows.
very much doubt if a ford or any other dealership would know how or even want to rebuild a diff

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Gazeddy

posted on 9/7/09 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
We rebuild diffs at work the problem is we don't have any info for the sierras anymore.have you tried looking on eBay for the workshop manual. But as others have said don't do it they need shimmin up and new crush washers that I'd assume are no longer available from ford
prelude1980

posted on 9/7/09 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
i got a copy of the diff rebuild manual if that helps?

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x317/integra1980/Sierra%20Diff%20Manual/

[Edited on 9/7/09 by prelude1980]

Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what
gets you.

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/dodd1980

alistairolsen

posted on 10/7/09 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
saved, will have a proper read later

The parts must be available, people fit ATBs to these all the time and the bearing kits are on ebay. It cant be that much of a black art

alistairolsen

posted on 10/7/09 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Got bored, had a quick browse. Do you just have the pictures, or do you have the actual manual?

If you have the manual and could get it scanned that would be awesome as a few bits are barely readable. Otherwise it seems to have all the required detail

GrumpyOne

posted on 10/7/09 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen
saved, will have a proper read later

The parts must be available, people fit ATBs to these all the time and the bearing kits are on ebay. It cant be that much of a black art

Hi there

Don't know if this will help you any but there are lots of manuals etc here, some diff stuff and if you scroll down the page some Sierra manuals.
http://www.siipicossu.com/manuaaleja/manuaalit.htm

If you want the parts for the diff then Midland Transmissions will sell you them. I spoke to them about my gearbox and diff and to make one V6 gearbox from two original boxes (4X4 V6 front on to Diesel rear) with complete new innards, and recondition my diff, again with all new innards they quoted me £500 which I thought was a bargain.

Cheers
Colin

My wife is very understanding, she understands that if I am in the garage I am not in the house annoying her.

GrumpyOne

posted on 10/7/09 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Sorry I forgot to give you the link for MTS

http://www.gearbox-mts.com/home.html

I spoke to a man called Gavid who new exactly what I was talking about, which suprised me because I didn't He was very helpful and told me to ask for him if I called back. Might be worth a phone call for parts and dimentions of the tools etc.

Cheers
Colin

My wife is very understanding, she understands that if I am in the garage I am not in the house annoying her.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.